Ok, I initially posted this on the forum for units OTHER than the 8700 - ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

keninitz no está en línea Stack level 1

Text Messaging on 8700?

Advertisement

Ok, I initially posted this on the forum for units OTHER than the 8700 - my bad - sorry!

I hope this isn't a "stupid" question! My work currently provides me with an old Motorola two-way text pager. I'll be moving to a Blackberry, probably the new 8700! My question is that that my home phone currently has a nice feature that if someone calls that phone, it sends a text page to my pager with the phone number that called, and also 2 digits to let me know if they left a message (00 for No and 11 for Yes). Will the 8700 be able to handle this somehow if I program in my 8700 number as the "pager number" on my home phone? I know that the 8700 doesn't have "paging" functionality, but would the SMS technology (or anything else on the unit work in some manner for this? Thanks!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Text Messaging on 8700?

what is the message sent by your home phone. If it's a page then i don't think so but if it's a number then the sms text. It should continue to work.

keninitz no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the response hydn

The phone has a "paging function" - it calls the pager, waits for the "tone" and then sends the in effects keys in the phone number that called - plus the extra digits to indicate whether or not there was a message left.

So if the number 703-555-1212 called my home phone and left a message, currently, my home phone would then call my pager and l would get a message of "703555121211" with the last 2 digits indicating there was message left.

gamsberry no está en línea Stack level 1

I was able to set this up with ATT & it is still working. It took a long time with CS to figure out how to provision it though. I think the feature was called TAP access and they charged me $1 a month for it. That charge has dropped off my bill but it is still working. I am still using a blue SIM If anyone has this working on Orange it would ease my migration fears to hear about it.

Guy

bmwmpower no está en línea Stack level 2

Havent had probs with my 8700!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It really depends on whether your carrier offers the feature. Some voicemail systems offer a paging option (i.e. press 2 to page or something).