I read some old posts on this and have some preliminary questions. I have a ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

rugmankc no está en línea Stack level 2

Tethering a 8700g

Advertisement

I read some old posts on this and have some preliminary questions.

I have a 8700g with Cincinnati Bell and an unlimited data plan.

I want to tether to a Sony Vaio FZ140E with Vista when I am on vacation and no wireless sites available. Laptop is now connected wirelessly to my PC with a wireless router and DSL service. I assume from reading the tethering instructions, I must first call my provider and see if they support tethering and get the info I need to set up phone and laptop. Main concern is if I set this up for vacation use will it impair in any way my already set connections to my PC. In other words, can I have both work by switching between them or can I only have one set up at a time.

Sorry for these basic questions, but not yet well versed on this topic.

Thanks,

Ken

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Tethering a 8700g

You can definitely have as many connections as your pc or laptop will support..Just switch profiles when you want to activate that connection
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I'm not too familiar with Vista, but if it's close to XP, then you would have 2 network connections, the one would be to your router, which you would disable when you tether, then you would have a dial-up networking connection to tether the BB.

Here's the instructions for tethering under XP: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...em_laptop.html
    Should be similar for Vista.

Also according to the Cincinnati Bell Wireless website, to use your Blackberry as a tethered modem, it's an extra $20 per month if you have a voice plan. I know TMO lets you tether no problem. AT&T monitors for extra data usage to see if you're tethering then they threaten to shut you off, cause they want you to buy their wireless cards. Same with VZW, they want to sell you on the 60-80/month wireless card. You may be able to tether successfully without that plan, but just be cautious of data usage if you do. But I don't necessarily recommend it.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Its very simple to have more than one connection. In the start menu choose "connect to" and choose which connection you want. If you feel safer you can disable wifi when you want to tether with your BB.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'll check with Cincy Bell. I have an unlimited data plan. The only time I will tether is when out of state and obviously out of my router range.

Thanks Again,

I'll probably have more questions when I try this.

Ken

Smile Re: Tethering a 8700g

cp6169

Are you saying I don't have to be logged in as a separate user? Once the BB is connected, I will see all my connection options including the BB.

Anyone: How do I tell if I have the drivers for the com port and standard modem on DM. I did upgrade to 4.2 on DM. I see a com and usb choice on DM, but nothing that says standard modem.

Cincy Bell is free with my unlimited data plan.

I know the APN and believe my provider doesn't use User ID's and PW's. I can check.

Under Service Books/WAP Browsing Config, I have a standard gateway number (10 numbers) followed by two sets of 5 numbers each, then /blackberry.net|GPAK. The User ID on that screen says -1.

Under WAP Transport the IP is //0.0.0.0:0;0/wap.gocbw.com|GPAK. Same User ID.

When I go deeper into the HRT screen the IP/Port is 0.0.0.0:0

Question is, which of these numbers goes in the IP part of the command line at+cgdcont=1 from the set up instuctions on this site, through the link posted above.

Thanks for all the help. The answers to the above questions should be enough to get me in deep trouble on this venture.

Thanks,

Ken

I started looking at the tethering instuctions and following the initial steps. But, when I get to the Extra Initialization Commands I cannot type anything in the block. It is not activated and says something to the effect that typing here may expose sensitive modem info and consult manual. This may be a Vista security issue that I may have to resolve on a Vista forum.

Thanks,

Ken

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    Anyone: How do I tell if I have the drivers for the com port and standard modem on DM. I did upgrade to 4.2 on DM. I see a com and usb choice on DM, but nothing that says standard modem.
    Modems aren't listed in Desktop Manager. You need to check your Control Panel under Phone & Modem Options where such things are listed...

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    I started looking at the tethering instuctions and following the initial steps. But, when I get to the Extra Initialization Commands I cannot type anything in the block. It is not activated and says something to the effect that typing here may expose sensitive modem info and consult manual. This may be a Vista security issue that I may have to resolve on a Vista forum.
    Sorry -- I have pretty much no experience with Vista. There has to be a way to add the initialization commands...

Thanks for the reply:

I am in Phones and Modems. I think it may be a Vista User Account Control issue, not sure.
    I also posted my question in a Vista Forum. No replies yet.
    Too bad, I was really wanting to tether the BB and laptop while on vacation.

Thanks Again,

Ken

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

OK, I have a dumb question. What exactly is tethering? is it the process of hooking up your bb to your pc as a modem?

Yes, that's exactly right.

That way I can use the BB with the laptop for internet access when out of my house and not near any free wireless hotspots. I have unlimited data on the BB and it would be free. Although slow, as it will be on the EDGE network. Just need to find out why I can't type in the command initialization block as described above.

Ken