Hello, all. I've owned my 8700 (my first Blackberry) for all of 6 hours now, ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

jsmith no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Stupid question about Desktop Redirector from a newbie

Advertisement

Hello, all.

I've owned my 8700 (my first Blackberry) for all of 6 hours now, so bear with the dumb question, please...

In doing my research before getting the 8700, I was under the impression that the Desktop Redirector would allow me to sync email, contacts, tasks and calendar from Outlook wirelessly to my 8700. I've been futzing now all night, and best I can figure is that I was simply wrong.

I will not be able to tether my device to my PC more than once a week, and our company does not run the BB Server. I was counting on the Desktop Redirector running on my desktop PC to keep my BB current with all of my latest PIM info.

Is this just not possible?

Jeff

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Stupid question about Desktop Redirector from a newbie

The best thing for you to do is to get a Hosted BlackBerry Enterprise Server account thru exchangemymail.com or some other service out there. Look in the Enterprise forum on this site for a list of Hosted BES companies and see what they offer you for the best price. You will need to have Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server installed on your PC but the companies listed in that thread will be able to give you more information. There also may be other companies out there if you happen to use IBM Lotus or Novell Groupwise, but I'm not sure.

Desktop Redirector only works if you have the computer, that has the server and Outlook installed on it, running and connected to that server 24/7 to get your email and sync options. BES/Hosted BES does not require you to be logged in. Plus you do not have to even have your PC on to get what you want.

The only thing tethering allows you to do is to surf the internet, on your laptop or desktop computer, using your BlackBerry as the modem.

Good luck.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Another thing I just thought about is if you don't want to bother with the BES, you can use the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) and have it forward your emails to your BlackBerry. You will be able to sync your email, contacts, calendar, address book and tasks this way, or file your email in different folders, but you will not have to worry about a BES. You will need a Data plan either way you go because email is considered data and will not work without it.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 06-07-2006 at 05:44 AM.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You need BES 4.0 (or higher) for wireless sync.

sequoia no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Another thing I just thought about is if you don't want to bother with the BES, you can use the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) and have it forward your emails to your BlackBerry. You will be able to sync your email, contacts, calendar, address book and tasks this way, or file your email in different folders, but you will not have to worry about a BES. You will need a Data plan either way you go because email is considered data and will not work without it.
    I know I'm bring up an old thread - but I'm trying to do this as well. I'm using BIS but all I can do is recieve push email (and it takes anywhere between 1-5 min) I have everything accessable via web access - mail, contacts, calander task etc. But i'm not able to access my calender, my contacts, nor my tasks. Am I doing something wrong?

PS. we don't have a BES at my office
    and they won't allow me to install the redirector on my computer.... grrrr.

thanks everyone

FIRST POST!

palmpilot->palm III->palm V->palm VIIc->palm m500->treo 600->treo 650------->Blackberry 8703e (dec 3, 2006)

^#&%@! what took me so long!?!??!?! I can't believe how perfect this thing is...

Djmarbll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219C9716

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I know I'm bring up an old thread - but I'm trying to do this as well. I'm using BIS but all I can do is recieve push email (and it takes anywhere between 1-5 min) I have everything accessable via web access - mail, contacts, calander task etc. But i'm not able to access my calender, my contacts, nor my tasks. Am I doing something wrong?

PS. we don't have a BES at my office
    and they won't allow me to install the redirector on my computer.... grrrr.

thanks everyone

FIRST POST!

palmpilot->palm III->palm V->palm VIIc->palm m500->treo 600->treo 650------->Blackberry 8703e (dec 3, 2006)

^#&%@! what took me so long!?!??!?! I can't believe how perfect this thing is...
    If you don't have the BES at your office, and your company won't allow Desktop Redirector, you won't be able to sync your calendar, contacts, or memo pad wirelessly, unless you download some 3rd-party application, which I wouldn't recommend.