Hi, Sorry to repost this but my original posting subject contained the wrong Dial up ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

crankyjellyfish no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Sprint 8703e and VISTA phone as modem won't connect error 678

Advertisement

Hi, Sorry to repost this but my original posting subject contained the wrong Dial up networking error number. The correct error is 678.
    ---
    I recently purchased a dell inspiron 1425 with Windows Vista Home Premium, installed the desktop manager 4.2 application, Sprint Connection Manager 3.07.044, Sprint Smartview 1.12. I'm not able to use the phone as a modem using Dial up Networking, Connection Manager (which I never used on my XP laptop) or Smartview. When the DUN dials #777, my blackberry displays "phone modem mode" but then after a few seconds it reverts, and Windows reports that error 678 has occurred "Unable to connect. Dial Up Networking error 678, the remote computer did not respond"

Using Sprint Connection Manager, the same thing happens, it displays "connecting" and then a second later, "disconnecting"

I went into Manage Network Connections and changed the Sprint Mobile Broadband item and configured the standard modem. I noticed all three checkboxes for hardware flow control, modem error control, and modem compression were enabled so I cleared all three and re-attempted to dial up but no success. Rather, my blackberry no longer briefly displayed "phone modem mode" so I reverted the changes.

I still cant use my phone as a modem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using the blackberry unlimited data plan through Sprint.

Thanks,
    Mike

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Mike: you probably need to add PAM to your account or use the Shark modem like you were doing.

Thanks. But this should be working. I don't want to shell out 50 bucks for something that should already be included and working as part of my phone service. I'm thinking it's a setting somewhere, has anyone else had this problem with Windows Vista?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    What plan do you have on that line?

You need to have the $39.99 data plan, and not the simply everything plan nor the $30.00 BIS plan.

If you have the latter (SE or $30BIS), you will need to use shark modem

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    BTW, it has nothing to do with the way your connection settings are set.

It's going into PAM mode, so it means it's hitting the network, then once it hits the network, it realizes either you don't have the correct plan, or if you do have the $39.99 plan, you have to call sprint and have them refresh the Phone As A Modem option.

OK thanks. I called Sprint and they corrected the problem. I never guessed it could be THAT simple! thanks
    Mike

bigbearcat no está en línea Stack level 1

"refresh the phone as a modem option "

I'm having the exact same problem. My, initially, switched to phone as a modem but then it disconnected and error 678 appeared. I need to know exactly what is meant by " refresh the phone as a modem ". What exactly to I say to the sprint customer service when I call in ?