I recently purchased a dell inspiron 1425 Windows Vista Home Premium, installed the desktop manager ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

crankyjellyfish no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Sprint 8703e phone as modem won't connect error 698

Advertisement

I recently purchased a dell inspiron 1425 Windows Vista Home Premium, installed the desktop manager 4.2 application, Sprint Connection Manager 3.07.044, Sprint Smartview 1.12. I'm not able to use the phone as a modem using Dial up Networking, Connection Manager (which I never used on my XP laptop) or Smartview. When the DUN dials #777, my blackberry displays "phone modem mode" but then after a few seconds it reverts, and Windows reports that error 678 has occurred "Unable to connect. Dial Up Networking error 678, the remote computer did not respond"

Using Sprint Connection Manager, the same thing happens, it displays "connecting" and then a second later, "disconnecting"

I went into Manage Network Connections and changed the Sprint Mobile Broadband item and configured the standard modem. I noticed all three checkboxes for hardware flow control, modem error control, and modem compression were enabled so I cleared all three and re-attempted to dial up but no success. Rather, my blackberry no longer briefly displayed "phone modem mode" so I reverted the changes.

I still cant use my phone as a modem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by crankyjellyfish; 04-10-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: wrong DUN error

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~when I had the 698 error, I uninstalled the connection manager. Then reinstalled and everything worked fine. Some how it got corrupted.

PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Also, do you have PAM on your account?

Quote Originally Posted by paullamm View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~when I had the 698 error, I uninstalled the connection manager. Then reinstalled and everything worked fine. Some how it got corrupted.
    Actually, the error I'm getting is 678 not 698

No, there's no PAM. It worked fine on my XP laptop. Sprint Connection Manager on Vista device & diagnostics screen display "Active Mobile Broadband User Name: macosta161@sprintpcs.com

PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I have XP. Not sure about Vista. I know on the Dial-up you need to use the username and password that you would use to log into your Sprint account. Are you on the $99 plan?

PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~What is "Sprint Smartview"?

No, I have the unlimited blackberry data plan through Sprint for 39.99. On my XP laptop the DUN didn't require a username/password, so assuming the same on Vista. I was able to download and use SharkModem to connect the laptop, but I can't afford 50 bucks to make it happen!

PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I'm sure someone else will be able to help you. How did you like the shark modem? I downloaded the trial last night. Having a few issues. But will get it figured out.

Smartview is the newest sprint app that combines wifi connectivity for your laptop in addition to 3G/CDMA EVDO. I always just used DUN on XP because it was faster and simpler but I can't get any of these applications or DUN to connect the phone as modem on my new Vista laptop.

I apologize, but I had to start a new thread to correct the DUN error in the subject line of this one, so please don't reply to this thread, but go to this one ...

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ror_678_a.html

thanks,
    Mike