My 8700 was working properly until I tried to put a SIM card that did ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

lsoleyma no está en línea Stack level 1

SOS-Insert SIM card

My 8700 was working properly until I tried to put a SIM card that did not have data capability. It gave me an SOS message. After I put my original SIM card into it and it still gave me an SOS-please intert SIM message. I have re installed the operating system, restarted the device many times and it still gives me this problem. I have tried registering the device but it does not work since I am not connected to the network. I have called the costumer service of my service provider (Rogers) and they can't help me since I did not buy the phone from them. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem????I am really desperate....Thank you

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PM - Ask
    lsoleyma, Welcome to PinStack.

It sounds like your SIM is not correctly installed. I know that it took me several tries to get mine in my 8700, the first time. I would suggest trying to re-install the SIM a couple of times.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB. And if you do have questions, it will really help us help you if you take the time to fill in your PinStack Profile with the information concerning your device. Model, OS and Platform (Found on Options/About), BES Status, Location, and Carrier. Depending on the question, each of these may have an impact on how we respond.

You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    ~via BB (

I have had this on occasion with BlackBerry and other phones too.

If the SIM is not installed correctly, the device cannot read it and therefore cannot connect to the network, and hence the "SOS".

This has NOTHING to do with what services are on your Rogers account. Rogers does not lock SIM cards to devices. Any Rogers SIM will work in any Rogers phone, or unlocked phone.

The BlackBerry is used, try dusting it. Another thing to try is cleaning the SIM card contacts (if they are accessible). Use isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to clean the contacts. This will remove dirt, dust, and oxidants.

Also, make sure to NEVER touch the exposed metal of the SIM or SIM slot with your fingers; the grease and oils from skin will eventually cause corrosion.