I come from the flip-phone Verizon world but am very much considering diving into the ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

beansy72 no está en línea Stack level 2

So I'm thinking about the 8700g....

Advertisement

I come from the flip-phone Verizon world but am very much considering diving into the Berry world and T-Mobile. Why I am leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, and my concerns about TM's coverage are a whole other thread in itself but for now I have a question about the 8700g's phone/voice quality.

I like doing a lot of research on phones before I purchase one which means reading threads on a variety of forums. This forum seems very enthusiastic and very much pro-Berry compared to other forums in which members can be quite tough and critical. One thing they are very critical of is the phone/voice quality of the 8700g. Some say its just plain awful, while others say its no problem at all. Phone quality is important to me for my next phone purchase as you would imagine.

I would like to hear what all of you think of the phone/voice/clarity portion of the 8700g.

Thanks in advance.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Re: So I'm thinking about the 8700g....

Quote Originally Posted by beansy72
    I come from the flip-phone Verizon world but am very much considering diving into the Berry world and T-Mobile. Why I am leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, and my concerns about TM's coverage are a whole other thread in itself but for now I have a question about the 8700g's phone/voice quality.

I like doing a lot of research on phones before I purchase one which means reading threads on a variety of forums. This forum seems very enthusiastic and very much pro-Berry compared to other forums in which members can be quite tough and critical. One thing they are very critical of is the phone/voice quality of the 8700g. Some say its just plain awful, while others say its no problem at all. Phone quality is important to me for my next phone purchase as you would imagine.

I would like to hear what all of you think of the phone/voice/clarity portion of the 8700g.

Thanks in advance.
    I just got my 8700 about 2 weeks ago, been with Tmo for a LONG time- almost 10 yrs. In regards to the network- I've used my service regionally, nationally and internationally without any issues. In regards to coverage use TMOBILES COVERAGE AREA.

In regards to phone quality- on a scale of 1-10, so far I rate it at an 7-8. Phone calls are clear and work fine, it is a bit strange holding up the BB like a regular phone because of the shape but it is comfortable. And the included headset or BT headset both work great. BT on the RIM is nice, cause it automatically connects itself.

The reasons for NOT being 10- speaker phone is touch and go. At home or other quiet environment, speakphone works great. In my car callers cannot hear me.

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

i did a fair amount of research before i got my 8700c and moved from Nextel to Cingular. I don't regret it at all. I've had several BB's and the 8700 is by far the best I've used.
    good luck!

mm
    mm no está en línea Stack level 2

the 8700g is my first bb, and i was also concerned with the voice quality. my husband had the 7105 and i wanted to kill him every time he called- it was like listening to grand central station. they seem to have fixed that with the 8700. when i'm out walking on a busy street, i get minor complaints, but in a normal environment the phone quality is great. it takes a little "getting used to" to find the right spot on your ear, but once you do, callers sound great.

i switched from nextel/sprint to tmobile, and they are great. my first bb had huge call quality issues, and they deemed it defective and immediately swapped it for a new one.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I have had the 7130g for a week now. (same guts as 8700).

Superior phone quality when compared to 7100.

Nearly as good as my previous Motos (v60, v600, v3 razr).

I'd say 8 out of 10 too.

And the 7130 is a bit (lot!) smaller than the waffle-ish 8700.

PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

And the 7130 is a bit (lot!) smaller than the waffle-ish 8700.
    my 8700 isn't waffle-ish
    it's shapely

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

I have had several phones and several models of BB's. I have had Verizon, Nextel and now Cingular. I find that in my area (CT) Cingular has the best coverage. That may be different in your area.

As for the phone quality, NONE of the BB's had the same quality as a standard cell phone. I now use a Bluetooth headset with my BB and I find that quality to be quite good.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

"shapely"??

Like a piece of Texas toast? Ha ha! ;p

(suretype all the way!)

PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

"shapely"??

Like a piece of Texas toast? Ha ha! ;p

(suretype all the way!)
    fine...my blackberry is bigger and can beat up your blackberry
    hows *THAT* for mature?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Back into regards of the call quality, couple of things:

Yes, the 8700 does have better sound quality in my opinion than the "more cell-phoneish" blackberries (IE 7100/7105/etc).

Even though the 8700 is wider than the above mentioned versions, I believe that the width actually makes it easier to hear because it being bigger means that there is more area for your ear to be against, reducing the amount of background noise while you are trying to listen. The microphone on the 8700 is also right out there "in sight" rather than being hidden behind keys, and it makes for better quality in my opinion. I have been told that the sound on the 8700 is much better than the 7105.

Using a headset obviously will help too, depending on if you were going to use one or not.

I also agree with the speakerphone...Its not as loud as I would like it to be when I am in the car, and it being on the back of the phone kinda sucks because if you are wanting to hear the person better on speaker phone, you have to keep flipping back and forth. SUPPOSEDLY, some people have reported louder ring tones and speaker volume after upgrading operating systems, but this has yet to be a proven fact. I know the speaker has the ability, because when I was playing with the Sona Mobile Player, I was amazed how loud I could get the speaker volume on it.

Hope this helps,

N8

beansy72 no está en línea Stack level 2

Well I admit I would be carrying it around in my jeans when I go out on the weekends. I am in NYC. I don't think it will be an issue in terms of bulkiness.