Is there ever a time I would incur roaming charges (I do not have free ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

IODebbie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BBCB3E

Roaming on the 8703e

Advertisement

Is there ever a time I would incur roaming charges (I do not have free roaming included in my plan) when I am using my BB as a modem, tethered to my laptop with a USB cord?

Second question - how can I tell if I am roaming on my 8703e? On my other phones I've always received a notification when I was roaming, but on the BB, I've gotten a couple of roaming charges (on phone calls), but I've never received nofication that I was roaming or seen anything on my BB that indicated that I was roaming.

Thanks for your help!

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Roaming on the 8703e

For the first question I am not sure. It depends if Sprint allows for data roaming.

For roaming, The user manual says you should see and R icon. Here is a ss of the indicators:

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

On the Sprint 8703e you will see a small triangle which lets you know you are roaming, unfortunately there never is a little "R" as it states above.. If you do not have roaming included and you are roaming while tethered you can be charged for that.

Thanks cp, Just went off the user doc. I have UNL Roaming with Tmo

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Now that I think of it, Im using ZEN, could the little roaming icon be different? Anyone else with Sprint please speak up. All current Sprint rate plans have roaming free, do you need to switch your plan IODebbie?

PIN/ID
    32BBCB3E

I actually have a great plan - I can add unlimited roaming for $5 per month, so I'm guessing I should just do that for my phone to avoid any surprises (everyone else on my plan just has phones and the occasional call on roaming is not an issue, I'm just worried about hours of charges when I'm tethered). So, CP, Sprint does allow for data roaming?

I've never seen an "R" or a little triangle. Where on the homescreen does it show up for you CP?
    Last edited by IODebbie; 06-19-2007 at 05:39 PM.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Using the ZEN theme I see the little triangle directly under the date, which is on the very left side of the screen. I have never used a different theme so I dont know where the icon would be.

I have been roaming and been able to browse at the same time, Sprint doesnt have a direct answer if it is allowed or not, they say if you can do it great.

PIN/ID
    32BBCB3E

I decided to Google this issue and found this: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99703

Offtopic: Nice to see Reemusk loves teh Pinstack!

PIN/ID
    32BBCB3E

I broke down and called Sprint. They told me the following:

1. If you do not have voice roaming, you will be charged for both voice roaming and data roaming.

2. Your BB should show the R or a little triangle when you are roaming, but that is not guaranteed. It will not tell you you are going to incur additional charges if you are data roaming.

They just changed my plan around and now I have roaming included on my plan for no additional charge. Now I just have to worry about the Canadian roaming charges for data and voice when we go to Canada for a few days!