Can anybody tell me how to re-install OS 4.1 on a device that has OS ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

myticket no está en línea Stack level 2

Re-install OS 4.1

Advertisement

Can anybody tell me how to re-install OS 4.1 on a device that has OS 4.1? The instructions to "upgrade" OS do not allow re-installation of 4.1.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Re-install OS 4.1

You need to Re-execute the OS Download exe file on you PC, then delete the Vendor.xml file from the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder. Then DM should give you the option to repair or something like that.

All this is based on you Company BES IT policy not prohibiting an OS Reload. Don't know if this can be limited by policy settings, but that may be the problem.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks. When I tried it I was not allowed to do anything with the OS..it was "greyed out" and the associated actions for those elements read "none". We have no OS reload policy that prohibits this.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If not upgrading/downgrading the OS, what are you wanting to accomplish by re-installing the same build?

"Is that going to be necessary?" - is the question I am trying to ask.

serviceone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4014cd35

I have now successfully reloaded O.S. 4.1 for my 7100i without following the steps previously given and i also cleared a jvm 102 error without reloading the entire phone

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Myticket, as Lewis mentioned what is the reason for wanting to install the same OS that is on the device. There may be an easier way to accomplish what you are trying. Let us know...

I am trying to fix a strange keypacd lock/unlock problem and OS reload was recommended. I lock the keypad and leave the device alone to find it has unlocked itself after some random time (>30 mins), when not in the cradle/holster. It is not event related (i.e. it does not unlock if mail or message is received), and I have tested this many times. Password security is not set. It is most inconvenient.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Did this just start happening? Or has it always happened?

If it has always happened, then perhaps it's a big inherent to the OS.

If you're on a BES, it could be a bug caused in part by a new policy along with your OS.

Regardless, I don't know of a way to re-install the same OS build; only upgrade or downgrade.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Just a thought here, Other than doing a complete Wipe, will the App Loader detect a missing module in the OS? Would it allow a repair if, say the Calendar App module had been deleted? This might solve the problem.

I guess another solution would be to 'downgrade' to a previous version, then 'upgrade' to the current version. Might take longer, but it would have been done by now if we had thought about that sooner.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391

In fact, I just re-installed the OS on my 8700 today.
    I was having a couple of error messages here and there.
    Even though it wasn't something critical, knowing that there is something wrong with my device, drove me insane.
    Anyway... what You should try is pull the battery out of your device and hook it up to your PC. And then click on "Application Loader" as if you are installing or loading a software.
    You should come to a point where it will ask you if you want to install new OS, which is basically same as what you had on your device previously. Click on OK.
    One more important step is... when it gives you an error message in the middle of the process, you need to put the battery back in your device and wait till your device is on.
    And then click on "Application Loader" button again like before. After that you should be able to figure it out on your own.
    If you have problem executing it, post it on here. I will try to help you out.
    Hope this helps