Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello Friends, I am currently a Palm Treo 600 owner. I wanna buy a BlackBerry ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

salils no está en línea Stack level 1

Questions about BlackBerry 8703e from Sprint

Advertisement

Hello Friends,
    I am currently a Palm Treo 600 owner. I wanna buy a BlackBerry 8703e mainly for it's GPS capabilities. I had a few questions:

1. I believe the 8703e has an inbuilt GPS receiver. But most of the time I see that we have to use TeleNav along with it which cost $10/month. I would like to pay a one time charge. Can I buy TomTom 6 for the blackberry or similar software? How is the GPS capabilities of the device? This is the reason why I am looking to upgrade.
    2. I believe that I can tether my blackberry to my laptop to use it as a broadband modem. Does this mean that I can retire my roadrunner account and rely completely on the data plan from Sprint? What are the speeds that one receives while using the phone in this way?
    3. Blackberry is primarily meant for email. How is it's PIM? Does it synchronize with MS outlook? Will alarms, todo items and calendar dates be synched with outlook? the Treo 600 didn't sync alarms and I had to undergo a lot of trouble to get through this limitation.
    4. I can I add more memory to a blackberry like in the form of a SD Card, flash memory etc.?
    5. How is Sprint reception in Charlotte, North Carolina?

nbirdsong no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B1FF41

Re: Questions about BlackBerry 8703e from Sprint

1. There is a built in GPS antenna. I am not sure about the tom tom software but I strongly recommend wither Telenav or Xora. I use Telenav myself and am still impressed by how accurate it is.

2. You can use it as a modem. Speeds are pretty good (especially for going through a phone but I would get rid of Road Runner for it. The phone as a modem feature is free with the Blackberry data access pack so consider it a bonus to having your blackberry that you can use it when you normally wouldn't have access. I will try to connect through it later and do a speed test. I will post the results
    3. outlook contacts, calender, and alarms sync. not sure about todo.
    4. no, there is no expandable memory slot on the 8703e.
    5. Service should be great. Also, Raleigh and Charlotte were two of the first cities to get Sprint's EVDO coverage as they were test sites for it. If you want to double check the coverage, go to:
    www.sprint.com/maps

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by cp6169; 01-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello salils, welcome to pinstack. Not much more I can say that nbird hasnt already.

1) You can use Telenav or Garmin, both are $10. I have never seen Tom Tom successful.

2) Right now EVDO speeds are 400-700kbps with peaks of 2megs. This is REV0. In the next few months Sprint is hoping to reveal REVA, which will allow faster speeds, with a peak of 3-4megs!

3) Contacts, memos, tasks and calendar entries will syncronize well with many programs.

4) But there are ways to save memory, clearing cache, deleting unwanted applications, ringers, themes, etc...

5) The url given by bird will give you an estimate of service. Make sure you zoom in to street level!

If you have any other questions let us know...
    Last edited by cp6169; 01-10-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Somebody changed the subject to 6703 instead of 8703.
    nbirdsong, are you saying that I should get rid of road runner or I shouldn't get rid of it. Considering that there is no expandable memory slot wouldn't that be a handicap when you want to install a software or map and the memory space runs out?

PIN/ID
    32B1FF41

Got a chance to speed test my 8703:

667.8 kbps

Also, the REVA release probably won't really affect the 8703 because it is a REV0 device.

I am actually using my bb to surf right now and I would be just fine with having this and this alone. My question before you get rid of road runner is: Are you just using the net on your one computer or do you have multiple devices connecting to the internet through a router? The blackberry should support one computer just fine...

The 8703 has about 60 megs of internal memory. Its not too bad for a phone. I have quite a few extra programs on mine now (including saved email) and I still have 35m free. You can always check your totals by going to your blackberries help me screen. (click and hold alt, cap, and h at the same time).
    Note: You can also see your used memory by going into options . status.
    Last edited by nbirdsong; 01-11-2007 at 08:47 PM.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

There is a rumored OS upgrade that will unlock the REVA speed on the 8703e. By that time we should see an 8800...?

A question out of this topic but will the 8800 have an inbuilt GPS receiver?

PIN/ID
    32B1FF41

I haven't heard of an OS upgrade for REV A. Correct me if I'm wrong but REV A is a software upgrade on the network side but an equipment upgrade on the consumer side. For instance, if you have a rev 0 aircard, you can't just download new software to get REV A speeds. You have to acutally get a REV A card (s720, PX 500 etc...)

There will have to be a gps chip in the 8800. There is one in the 8703e as well. E911 compliance....

PIN/ID
    3056468b

The 7250 originally did not have EVDO REV0 and was a simple OS upgrade to enable it. That is why I said rumor, because I cant validate the information. But you are correct, if you have a REV0 card you must get a REVA.

scaredpoet no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    The 7250 originally did not have EVDO REV0 and was a simple OS upgrade to enable it.
    That's because the 7250 had a revision 0 chipset, but the firmware didn't enable it as the network wasn't launched at the time it was released.

MAYBE the 8703e has a Revision A chispet in it, but considering that RevA is out now, we probably would have already seen the update for this device if it had that capability. I'd LOVE to see revision A on my 8703e, but I highly doubt it has the hardware to support it.

jpointer no está en línea Stack level 1

From my understanding and i may be wrong, to take advantage or rev a theres in nothing really needed or then an evdo capable phone or aircard there isnt really rev a or rev 0 capable devices. The revision itself is all done on the network side and its a matter if the device can access the evdo network revised for a or not

scaredpoet no está en línea Stack level 2

No offense, but you understand wrong.

Most EVDO handsets up to now, across all manufacturers have the Qualcom MSM6500 chipset:
    http://www.cdmatech.com/products/msm...t_solution.jsp

This chipset supports:
    - 1xRTT Rel 0 and Rev. A (Rev A permitted packet data, I beleive.)
    - EVDO Rel. 0 ONLY. No Rev. A support.

Interestingly, the MSM6500 can also do GSM and GPRS with the right supporting hardware, but few carriers (except Samsung in one or two models) have ever taken advantage of it.

On the other hand, if the 8703e has the Qualcomm MSM6800, MSM7500 or MSM7600 chispets, then it could be capable of EVDO Revision A support.

So... anyone care to take apart their 8703e and find out what number is stamped on their qualcomm chips? Unfortunately, the photo on the last page which shows the chips exposed is VERY pixelated, probably because RIM purposefully wanted to hide the chipset details:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

hockeyizlife no está en línea Stack level 1

well being a new user of a sprint, and a blackberry 8703e i can say the service is amazing(in detroit at least), and its a very nice phone.

PIN/ID
    32B1FF41

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyizlife
    well being a new user of a sprint, and a blackberry 8703e i can say the service is amazing(in detroit at least), and its a very nice phone.
    I must agree that I love my 8703e as well. Service works well in Denver, CO.
    PIN: 301576CD
    Pin me anytime

supermanfn no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2038F60B

According to Sprint's website, the 8703e has the MSM6500 chip in it.

Can't post link, but it is on their powervision sprint com / mobilebroadband / devices / blackberry8703e.html

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    No offense, but you understand wrong.

Most EVDO handsets up to now, across all manufacturers have the Qualcom MSM6500 chipset:

This chipset supports:
    - 1xRTT Rel 0 and Rev. A (Rev A permitted packet data, I beleive.)
    - EVDO Rel. 0 ONLY. No Rev. A support.

Interestingly, the MSM6500 can also do GSM and GPRS with the right supporting hardware, but few carriers (except Samsung in one or two models) have ever taken advantage of it.

On the other hand, if the 8703e has the Qualcomm MSM6800, MSM7500 or MSM7600 chispets, then it could be capable of EVDO Revision A support.

So... anyone care to take apart their 8703e and find out what number is stamped on their qualcomm chips? Unfortunately, the photo on the last page which shows the chips exposed is VERY pixelated, probably because RIM purposefully wanted to hide the chipset details:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast