Appreciate some insight/advice. I am a Rogers subscriber in Canada and run a 7100r. Works ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

trax58 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question on Roaming with an 8707

Advertisement

Appreciate some insight/advice. I am a Rogers subscriber in Canada and run a 7100r. Works great everyhwere but Japan and Korea. I will now be spending time each month travelling in Korea. Need to solve both the voice and email challenge.

Was told that a 8707 would be a good answer, as it does both GSM/GPRS (as my 7100 does) and it runs UMTS (which works in Korea).

Rogers and SKT have an agreement where you can rent a SK phone at the airport and put your Rogers SIM card in it and away you go.

So here's the question - can I put my Rogers SIM in the 8707 and use it a) everywhere I go today with my 7100r AND b) will it work (voice and data) in Korea??

Appreciate any help/insight!!!

THANKS
    TRAX

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Question on Roaming with an 8707

~via SUPA BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Voice will certainly work but I doubt data will. You may have to check with the local carriers to see if they have Blackberry Data Plans.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Even if the 8707 does work, BlackBerry service is not completely SIM dependent. You would have to set up a new BIS account with the new BB device and register all your email accounts, then disconnect them all when you switch back to your 7100r.

Unless you buy the 8707 unlocked and use it at home as well as Korea.

However, as mentioned above, that will only work if the Korean carrier actually has BlackBerry data service.

Thanks to both of you.

I hope to use only the 8707 (it runs GSM/GPRS so I can use it in NA and elsewhere). I have purchased it unlocked and it has never been registered to a network (ie it is brand new), althought it is a "v" so I assume it is the Vodaphone version. Believe SKT or KTF runs BBerry service.

Appreciate any other comments or tips!

Thumbs up Re: Question on Roaming with an 8707

Following up (a year later)

The 8707 works great in Korea (connects to KTF and provides Voice and Data). Rogers has a roaming agreement with KTF. Nice thing about 3G/UMTS is that I can have a voice call, receive/send email and do IM's all at the same time.

I like the 8707, but have one beef with it - it wont work in Brazil. All I get is the SOS. Supposed to be Quad Band and it SHOULD work, but it doesnt. Rogers isnt too helpful, as this is an unlocked Vodafone device. Appreciate any other experiences.

priest_spy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A5F6DD

Can anyone help me fix my 8707g errors.
    I am in Vietnam now, i use mobifone network (GSM). My 8707g is product of CSL (sim free).
    I don't know why in some places, it does not work ( it means: cannot phone or answer but only sms).
    But in other place, my device works correctly. Near my home, Mobifone network is carrying about EDGE experiment? so that it cannot work. I wonder if that is the reason making my device not work? I need help?