I have a 8703e from Verizon. The salesman told me I could use this phone ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

happy1240 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BD62DA

Question Question

Advertisement

I have a 8703e from Verizon. The salesman told me I could use this phone to get to the internet thru a laptop. What do I do just plug it into the laptop like my pc and I can get the lap to the internet?

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Re: Question

did you pay the tether access charge of $15? did you install drivers so your pc can see the phone as modem? did you set up a DUN yet?

PIN/ID
    32BD62DA

No to the above. The guy just said I can use it to get to the internet so I figured I had everything. Oh well. Just thought I could bring my laptop for vacation to our cabin upnorth. But I guess I cant. Thank you for the response.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

if u need it that bad pay the fee then cancel tether when you get back. anyways here is how to set it up

Home > Support > Technical Knowledge Center
    Back

How To - Connect a computer to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry device as a tethered modem
    Last Updated: 15 September 2006
    Article Number: KB-04664

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
    This article applies to the following:

BlackBerry 7130e™
    BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld™
    BlackBerry 8703e Wireless Handheld™
    BlackBerry 8707g Wireless Handheld™
    BlackBerry 8707v Wireless Handheld™
    BlackBerry® Desktop Software version 4.1 and later
    Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
    Personal computer or laptop computer with an Intel® 486 or higher processor
    Note: Research In Motion does not support using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, please contact your service provider.

Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure
    A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a personal computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Tasks
    To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later (one time only)
    Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
    Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking

Task 1
    Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install desktop software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2
    To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.

Windows XP Operating System
    Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    Click Next.
    Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
    Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
    Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    In the Connect window, click Properties.
    In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    In the Properties window, click OK.
    Windows 2000 Operating System
    Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    Click Next.
    Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
    Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    In the Connect window, click Properties.
    In the Properties window, verify that Modem – Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 3
    Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.

Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Note: If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

Task 4
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

Connect the BlackBerry device to computer.
    Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    Click Dial.

Additional Information
    For instructions on how to connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE BlackBerry device as a tethered modem, see KB-05196.

Keywords
    tethered, modem, dial-up, dial, up, connection, internet, laptop, computer, CDMA

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Yes, Verizon sticks it to ya for PAM service. Sprint's is free. You get the same coverage too with the $5 no roaming add on.

PIN/ID
    32BD62DA

The guy made it sound like I had everything. Thanks for the responses!