Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does anyone know if there is a push to talk app out there for the ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

davidjmorin no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203c47e7

push to talk

Advertisement

does anyone know if there is a push to talk app out there for the 8700? or any plans for it?

ENY428 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: push to talk

PUsh to talk? isn't that a NEXTEL feature? I think they have some kinda patent on that. I thought thats why sprint & Nextel merged. They both had radio phones.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Many cellular carriers have a Push To Talk feature, Cingular, Verizon. I see that the original poster is on Cingular so unfortunately I cannot answer the question if they are going to release PTT for the 8700. I am positive there is no app available to make your phone PTT enabled. It has to be enabled on the device by RIM.

PIN/ID

Yeah cingular has it but they only have like 2 phones thats enabled. Just like SPRINT. That's why i Switched. I was AT&T about 2 years ago and they tried the PTT. Failed miserably.

sigmamason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22BFEE32

That is a software load for Cingular and I truly doubt if they are going to do it to the 8700c.
    Might be on the next version of the 8700 if RIM agrees.
    Kinda like the PTT that Cingular uses...can use Bluetooth to hear the conversation instead of the loud version that people like to do in the middle of the mall so that all can hear them...you can also switch to voice if needed while on the conversation.
    Might get a PTT phone just to have...
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I asked the cingular guy when i picked up my 8700 about the PTT as a selling tool and he said it wasnt very popular . The phones they offered with PTT are crappy he said.. If there were better phones, more might be apt to get that feature...
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

One of the im apps I had for my old nokia 3620 had a push to talk feature. It was basically a record function on the app that sent the message to a server. If the person that you were talking to was using the same app on his or her phone they would automatically hear it, but an URL would be displayed to hear the message if they were on a pc. I don't remember which I'm app it was but it was pretty useful (not bad considering it was carried over a gprs connection). I wonder if something like that would be possible on a bb?

BReady

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Nextel has something like that available on all of their phones, its call NextMail. Basically you record your voice with your PTT button and it sends that message via email to another person!! Really cool feature.

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~word cp. I got a nextel and didn't know that. Thanks 4 the info

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Nextel is iDEN. A Motorola developed protocol that was primarily a walkie-talkie (PTT) first, and then a limited phone later. But it caught on, especially with mobile workers (not professionals...how many lawyers/doctors/bankers have iDEN phones? It's always burly contractors. Just a stereotype...).

Any PTT on any other network, and it's only CDMA, was a vain effort to compete with the iDEN network. Unfortunately, the best that CDMA can do with PTT is completely unacceptable for an iDEN user. Therefore, no demand, no R&D, no improvement, no 'cool' handsets.

And I'm stereotyping again here, but where I live (Alberta), the type of people who use iDEN for the PTT, are people who probably don't have email. The people who use BlackBerry don't talk on the phone, they email.

I don't understand the PTT. Why not just get FRS radios? Too far away? Just phone the person.

Anyway, as far as devices go, iDEN phones are rugged and take a beating and still keep on working. But a BlackBerry? It would be all busted up after an afternoon in the oil patch or a day in the construction yard. BB's are cradled like Paris' dog.

~And that is how I see it.~

bruiser_04 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243FCD27

Not that I'm being defensive BUT...I'm a far cry from a big burly construction worker...and I use my DC on my BB all the time...it's convienent with the family...and with unlimited DC I save on phone minutes...

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I did say it was a stereotype. And stereotyping is synonymous with being ignorant and / or boorish.

My apologies bruiser.

But let me at least stand by the cultural element of iDEN and PTT being rarely used for anything other than typical contractor work or field work. I can confidently say that I have never met anyone, business or personal, or even seen someone in public, using PTT for anything other than business.

Check out those cool icons of a truck driver and a man wearing a hardhat on the Mike homepage.

http://www.telusmobility.com/ab/mike/index.shtml

And I think that "unlimited" is unheard of. And often times, north of the 49, voice airtime is cheaper.

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

I'm with bruiser. The whole reason I got a Nextel phone in the first place was because my friends have them. I NEVER use my DC for work. Noone in my office has Nextel. And to buck another stereotype, I use the phone on my 7100i a lot more than the email. When I get emails from certain people, I want to know about it immediately and the BB is great for that. But in terms of volume, my BB is still my phone first. Lastly, Sigma, those people who make their DC conversations public just want to be noticed. I consider it rude and I don't do it. Although the speaker phone is the default mode, with one button you can turn it off and listen through the earpiece and still access the DC button. And if you're wearing a headset, which I usually do, you can also hold a DC conversation through it. You just have to hold the phone in your hand so you can push the button.

bigmatt no está en línea Stack level 3

no one will ever buy a cingular or verizon ptt phone. why beacuse nextel's is so much better and that with the cingular and verizon you can only use it in that network. and no one has a cingular phone for ptt it you want ptt just get a boost.

justelise no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203C9815

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

But let me at least stand by the cultural element of iDEN and PTT being rarely used for anything other than typical contractor work or field work.
    I have to disagree with you entirely. I work in the hospitality industry and have for the past two years. I have worked for two different companies and Nextel is used EXTENSIVELY in certain hospitality companies everywhere from maintenance to the front desk and management. Obviously this is not field work.

I think you're still trying to put the PTT feature and its users in a box which does not really fit anymore, especially with the ad campaigns that Nextel has launched in the past three years (pre Sprextel). We saw Nextel users on the beach using PTT for business, etc... Yes, the technology was originally used to dispatch field workers, but the new face of PTT users is younger, more diverse, and more business oriented than you think. I know plenty of executives who turned down the 8700c on Cingular for a 7520 just for PTT.

Quite frankly I have seen more sorority girls with Nextel phones than I have construction or field workers in the past two years.
    justelise
    http://itsreallyjustme.net
    Drop by my blog and say hi!
    If you need Gmail, lemme know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast