Hi all, Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone found a solution ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Sunalex no está en línea Stack level 1

Problems with PDF's

Advertisement

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone found a solution to displaying PDF's correctly? Without using third party software from the usual suspects (DocHawk,Cerience etc...)

Thanks

Ben

Details:
    Blackberry 8700g on O2
    OS 4.1
    BES 4.1 express

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Problems with PDF's

With BES express you should have limited PDF support:

Supported attachment viewing
    The attachment service enables users to view supported message attachments on their BlackBerry devices in a format that retains most of the layout, appearance, and navigation of the original attachment. The attachment service uses an existing link to the messaging server to access attachments directly on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    The attachment service interprets and converts message attachments in binary format, so you do not have to install the applications that are associated with the attachment formats on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
    The attachment viewer installs automatically with the device software. It supports the following formats:
    BlackBerry MDS Services

File extensions
    Adobe® Acrobat® versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4
    .pdf
    Microsoft Excel® versions 97, 2000, 2003, XP
    .xls
    Microsoft PowerPoint® versions 97, 2000, 2003, XP
    .ppt, .pps
    Microsoft Word versions 97, 2000, 2003, XP
    .doc, .dot
    Corel® WordPerfect® versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 (2000)
    .wpd
    ASCII text
    .txt
    HTML
    .html, .htm
    ZIP archives
    .zip
    images
    .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .tif, .tiff, .wmf

Also see some of the pdf's here:
    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/blackberry/bes-express.jsp

Sunalex no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi Hayden,

Thanks for the reply, yes I have found this to be the case, I believe that PDF's created directly from Distiller function correctly.

However if they are created from a third party system this is where the problems start.

Anyone else got any suggestions

Ben

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

When I get pdfs as attachment, and they don't view correctly, usually it's from my gmail account. In which case I'll log in to gmail.com and there it has an option to view as html, that works quite nicely. Don't know if your email service has that option. Can always get a gmail and forward to it just for that purpose. A little cumbersome, but it'll work.

bbshooter no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    244D5E51

When our users get .pdf's that don't view correctly it is because the document has been scanned in. The viewer reads the .pdf as an image and strips out the image data, leaving virtually nothing. We use a third party product from Notify Corp. They say they are working to address the issue but they've been telling us that for awhile now. Any body know of other third party apps that don't strip the .pdf's?