Hi recently bought the blackberry 8703e for verizon on ebay. I tried to activate, waited ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

iblackberry no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile HELP!! Difficulties Activating 8703e

Advertisement

Hi recently bought the blackberry 8703e for verizon on ebay. I tried to activate, waited an hour, tried 3 different tech support people and by the end of it they said the phone cannot be activated. we did a hard reset as well as the different activation numbers and attempted a manual
    activation. at the end of all that the old number remains. the only
    way my number appears is if i manually configure it but after i call
    *228 the old number pops back up and i can't make any calls.

the most reasonable explanation they gave me was that the phone is most likely stolen.

some questions i have are:

1. is there another reason why the phone won't activate other than it
    being stolen?

2. is there a way to check if the phone is stolen?

3. if it's stolen what should i do? i'm trying to return it but i'm not sure what's going to happen. Am I just screwed?

Thank you.

- frustrated tech lover (i knew i should have gotten it through
    verizon...darn)
    Last edited by iblackberry; 02-07-2007 at 02:48 AM.

aetoole no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Probably Screwed..Difficulties Activating 8703e

I'd recommend getting back on the phone w Verizon. I had to swap out my 8703e for a new one after just a few days of ownership (bad phone) and it took me a solid hour and a half on the phone to get my info moved over to the brand new phone. I was very patient and the techs just kept handing me over to more knowledgable people. In the end I ended up with a real Jimmy Neutron of a guy and he worked every angle until I was up and running. If the phone is stolen though, I don't know...

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I would hope the seller would give you a refund and take it back. Otherwise you might be SOL, particularly if it was a stolen device.

Just one of the many problems buying a cell phone on ebay. You do get what you pay for!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Customer care must give you a definite answer, not what most likely could be the problem.

If the phone was stolen there is a database that will allow the esn to be negative, care can see that.

Let us know if you need any further help.
    Last edited by cp6169; 02-10-2007 at 12:37 PM.

The Wizard no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    318A9770

Have you tried walking into your local Verizon store and asking them to do the setup for you? I think they will charge you 15.00 but it might be worth the cost. Atleast they will be able to let you know if it can be done. Good Luck

scaredpoet no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: HELP!! Difficulties Activating 8703e

Quote Originally Posted by iblackberry
    some questions i have are:

1. is there another reason why the phone won't activate other than it
    being stolen?
    Well, another possibility could be that the previous owner of the phone left Verizon with a past due balance that he or she didn't ever pay. Those are the only two cases where a phone's ESN is blacklisted. Of course, this assumes that an ESN blacklisting IS the problem here, and not some other issue.

2. is there a way to check if the phone is stolen?
    Actually, Verizon CS should be able to tell you right away if the phone is stolen or has blacklisted for any other reason. Those reps are responsible for blacklisting the phone in the first place, so they should be able to pull up notes on what happened with this phone.

3. if it's stolen what should i do? i'm trying to return it but i'm not sure what's going to happen. Am I just screwed?
    The problem is, we don't know for sure if the phone is really stolen or not. If it WAS reported stolen, then the next steps are easy to determine: contact eBay and report a fraudulent transaction, leave bad feedback, dispute the purchase with PayPal, all that stuff.

But, because we don't know for sure, then it's unwise to make accusations for which there's no real proof yet. Try to get a determination from Verizon CS on why this phone won't activate. Meanwhile, contact the seller and tell them the phone appears to have been blacklisted and it's been suggested that the phone may have been reported stolen, and demand your money back.

If Verizon confirms that the phone was reported stolen, then you REALLY need to CYA, and take steps to cooperate with them. This may involve turning the phone into VZW, filing a police report, and doing the whole raise-hell-with-eBay thing described above.

- frustrated tech lover (i knew i should have gotten it through
    verizon...darn)
    Well, as someone who has regularly sold pre-owned cell phones on eBay, I will say that there are many good, reputable sellers there, and you can still get a good deal on legitimate goods if you're careful.

Before you bid, do the obligatory checking of the feedback, but also send a message to the buyer saying you're interested in purchasing the phone but want to verify that the ESN is clean. Then kindly ask for the ESN number on the phone. Once the seller provides that info, call up Verizon CS and tell the rep that you intend to purchase a phone and just want verify that a phone's ESN is clean and can be activated.They should be able to tell you right away if all is well. Once you get the all-clear, THEN you can bid.

A reputable seller should have no problem honoring a request to supply the ESN. When it's asked of me, I even provide a photo of the ESN sticker and backplate of the phone, proving that this is the ESN attached to that phone.

If a seller refuses or doesn't respond to your request, then don't bid.

reemusk no está en línea Stack level 3

time for a call to the carrier.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: HELP!! Difficulties Activating 8703e

Quote Originally Posted by iblackberry
    Hi recently bought the blackberry 8703e for verizon on ebay. I tried to activate, waited an hour, tried 3 different tech support people and by the end of it they said the phone cannot be activated.
    Here's a suggestion that I firmly believe will resolve the issue for you in the fastest easiest way.

Drive to your nearest Verizon store. Tell them your story and allow them an opportunity to help you. Verizon is a good company that I know, based on the experience of my friends, will make every effort and get it taken care of for you. Especially if it's possible that this is a stolen phone, they will identify that for you right in the store in just minutes. They are there to help you and it's a great way to get you up and running.

I would avoid calling in, it's a waste of time. You need to get in front of a Verizon employee in the store with your BlackBerry in hand, and they will get this resolved.

Also I would rest assured that it's highly unlikely they will accuse you of stealing the phone. It makes no sense, that you would bring in a stolen phone if you were actually the thief.

You should do just fine.

Good Luck, Cheers....