New member. I want a data-centric smartphone. Like BB based in in-store brief test. But ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Dogfish90 no está en línea Stack level 1

potential 8703e owner

Advertisement

New member. I want a data-centric smartphone. Like BB based in in-store brief test. But Treo 700p is more familiar.

My company supports Treo, but not BB. But, I really like the 8703 form factor and I can access my email via web access. It's not push, but probably good enough. I can get push for the Treo via Goodlink.

Went to a Verizon store to test the BB web brower to see if I could live with web access email, but was not able to give it a good test since I have not used BB before. The scroll wheel needs to be learned.

Questions: Realize I don't know much (zero) about BB. How is web browsing with BB? Will it easy to read and download attachments via web-based email?

How does BB browsing (screen rendering and speed) compare to Treo?

Seems I can use BB for internet connection for laptop via USB. Is this correct? Is connection fast and is it easy to set up?

Do I need third party software to read Word/Excel attachments? DoctoGo is included with the Treo.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Dogfish90, Welcome to PinStack.

If you can Access your webmail from the net, you should be able to set up the BIS to access it also, so that it would be on your BB. As to the Word/Excel attachments, you can read them without any other S/W, but you can't edit them. eOffice is a good app for editing them though.

Rcbjr.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for the reply.
    So it is your feeling that for data and email the BB is ~ the same as the Treo?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ For me the BB is more user friendly than the Treo when it comes to email and web.

Pinstack?

I thought I was a nerd, but I obvioulsy don't know BB. What is pinstaack?

rigator no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rigator no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~dog, coming from a treo myself, I think the BB is faster and much easier to use! I love my 8703e!!

bigmarv no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Optional
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Welcome to pinstacks Dogfish90! Actually when deciding between the two systems inwhich I owned the 700p and 700wx before my 8703e. The email system on a BB is much easier than on a Treo. But considering that you company uses Goodlink, you emails will be pushed automatically and Goodlink is available on a blackberry also. You should ask your IT guy if they can get a BB to work on the Goodlink network. As far as internet speed, you are on a CDMA system like I am. So both phones are EVDO. The internet speed is the same. I did learn that certain web pages wap sites populate better on a BB than a Treo. But if your company is paying for your device, than what the heck. Let them treat you to whatever they want. The tracking wheel is very is to get use to once you break it in, and pinstacks is the most best web forum you will ever come across on the internet. With the most friendly, well knowledge folks in any forums you evry been in. Good luck on the choice

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish90
    I thought I was a nerd, but I obvioulsy don't know BB. What is pinstaack?
    Pinstack is the name of probably the best website dedicated to sharing information, knowledge and experiences on a specific family of "smartphones". I've read how the name was derived, but can't remember the details.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

nocman7300 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204BE46B
    Previously used a Treo 650 for a year and since using my BB Pearl, I find the BB Pearl more user friendly in everyway. My personal preference - Blackberry for web, email with attachments and more.

senna174 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I used the 8703e as a modem while traveling to Oregon. Westin Hotel wanted to charge me US10 to use the in-room internet service and I though, hum, I got a free one in my pocket. The speed is great, very fast, but not as fast as EVDO RevA. I don't think you will regret with the 8703e.

Thanks very much for all the great information and enthusiasm. I'm leaning toward BB. Perhaps because it feels more like my Tungsten C? If (when) I get it I'll post my experiences.

Can't get my IT department to get back to me about Goodlink. Sometimes they forget who the client is.

Nice to know I can read attachements without having to buy a 3rd party program. I don't need full edit capibilities. I have that on my T|C and never use it.

I read the 8703 can't be used as a USB modem with OS X. Is this correct? It's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if I could.