Hi all. Sorry for the possibly redundant email, but I'm a newbie to my BB ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

portside07 no está en línea Stack level 1

Pin Release

Advertisement

Hi all. Sorry for the possibly redundant email, but I'm a newbie to my BB and this site.

Long story short, I received a BB 8700C from a friend who got it from a co-worker that was recently laid off. The phone was originally registered to cingular but I unlocked it and now use it w/ T mobile. Problem I'm having is that I seem to receive any emails received from the gmail address of the former user. I was told by T mobile that the user had to get Cingular to release the pin. Unfortunately, the person who the phone originally belonged to is MIA so I can't get him to call Cingular to release pin. Any idea how to get the pin released? Do I have to press T mobile to get Rimm to release the pin so that I stop getting these messages and, in turn, allow me to set-up my own email accts?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

Re: Pin Release

I'm not sure what a PIN release means as each BB has their own specific PIN tied to the unit and I don't believe you can alter or release it.

I would think the owner would need to log into his Gmail account and stop the email forwarding to this device. I would also think that he will realize that at some point and do it himself.

**Disclaimer** I'm new to this myself, so there are others who may have better solutions available.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

The previous owner needs to close their Cingular BIS account to release the PIN and IMEI so you can set up your email, otherwise you get his email. You might try calling Cingular and explain the issue and they might help. If not then maybe RIM. But in many cases when someone tries to do this it is with either a found or stolen BB, so be ready for the nth degree.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's not RIM that needs to do this -- it's the carrier of the former BIS account tied to your BB. Most people don't realize that they need to do this. Closing a wireless account doesn't close/delete the BIS account from what I've experienced with various carriers.

Good luck! It's tricky to do this when it's not your BIS account or you don't have an active account with the carrier that's responsible for the BIS account.

Is the former owner MIA or just not responsive? He/she might take a different stance after realizing that you're getting that person's personal email...

emesis no está en línea Stack level 1

I had a very similar issue when I switched from an unlocked 8700c to the 8700g. It took me close to two weeks to have RIM fix this problem Tmobile was of no assistance to me, in fact they made the situation worse by saying that they could fix it and then stating that it was RIM's problem.

Good Luck....

cid911 no está en línea Stack level 1

there has to be an easier way out... anyone aware of it?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Nope. No easier way out. Without the original owner (the last one to have locked the pin into a bis) notifying the carrier that they no longer have the device and to release it from the bis, you will have to go through a long process to get it done.

Zo