My 8703e will either.. a) cut off the backlight, and the information on the screen ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

reemusk no está en línea Stack level 3

Phone locks up/dies/hard resets when in poor coverage?

Advertisement

My 8703e will either..

a) cut off the backlight, and the information on the screen will slowly fade away (kinda like the old gameboys, when the battery would die)

b) the phone will reset, taking between 5-10 minutes to reboot (white screen with hourglass pops up...then the sprint logo for several minutes, then back to the home screen.

this has happened during texting, web usage, telenav usage, etc. no real trends on stuff i've used.

it does only happen when i'm in an area of poor service, or switching between roaming and native sprint coverage.

should i just wipe it? help me out!

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Phone locks up/dies/hard resets when in poor coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by reemusk
    My 8703e will either..

a) cut off the backlight, and the information on the screen will slowly fade away (kinda like the old gameboys, when the battery would die)

b) the phone will reset, taking between 5-10 minutes to reboot (white screen with hourglass pops up...then the sprint logo for several minutes, then back to the home screen.

this has happened during texting, web usage, telenav usage, etc. no real trends on stuff i've used.

it does only happen when i'm in an area of poor service, or switching between roaming and native sprint coverage.

should i just wipe it? help me out!
    what you describe under a) sounds like what the device does when you pull the battery on it. Have you tried a different battery?

Quote Originally Posted by miles_troope
    what you describe under a) sounds like what the device does when you pull the battery on it. Have you tried a different battery?

you know, my battery has been sitting odd (the piece on the opposite side of the contacts is coming off for some reason.

do you think that would be it?

anyone know about my other issues?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

If it is distorted when in the BB then it could definitely be the problem. If it is noticably deformed, get a new one immediately. This could be a safety problem.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    If it is distorted when in the BB then it could definitely be the problem. If it is noticably deformed, get a new one immediately. This could be a safety problem.

Rcbjr.

thanks. its not that the battery itself is damanged, but the black plastic piece glued to the end of the battery (NOT the side where the contact is, has become unglued slightly, and the battery seats a little funny.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I would get a new one anyway. Just because it seems to be causing problems.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

I got a new one, while it does it much less, I have noticed that it still does it.

it seems to only do it in low areas of service (it will do it when i cross the state line that i am 2 minutes away from on the interstate)

the screen just goes blank, and the phone soft resets, and takes 5-7 minutes to reboot
    a blackberry is a tool. a treo is a toy

jjharsch no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~same intermittent problem here on a VZW 8703e. It happens now and then when I get into the elevator in my office building.

The most annoying part is the long restart time (for me, seems to be 2 to 5 minutes). One of the major reasons I switched from WM5 to the BB is because of WM5 constant crashes. Any additional insight into this problem would be much appreciated.

Dedenfield no está en línea Stack level 1

Greetings,

This is my first post on this very informative forum. I purchased an 8700c off Ebay. I am experiencing the same problems described above. The battery has no issues. I notice the problem the most when travelling on the interstate. At regular intervals the signal fades and the Berry reboots. I took it in to Cingular and they replaced my sim card with a newer version. This helped some but it is still occuring. The rep said I had to call the warranty line and that they would recommend a master reset.

I wanted to post here for any possible solution before trying to return the phone.

Thanks

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

reemusk, just out of curiosity, is your BB set to Automatic or Sprint only. I've had mine go into roaming (I get a very weak signal at work), but haven't had this happen.

Its set to Roaming.

I would like to note I received a replacement BB which does the same thing. I'm going to snap a shot of the error log next time it goes on (alt l g l g) and post it up here.

It happens to me on the interstate too. Most commonly between state lines
    a blackberry is a tool. a treo is a toy