I have purchased a BB 8700r on ebay knowing it to have a broken lcd. ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

bbzone no está en línea Stack level 1

password reset required - 4 tries left

Advertisement

I have purchased a BB 8700r on ebay knowing it to have a broken lcd. I want to access the board via usb to determine as much as possible about condition before I lay out $$ for a new lcd. I discovered that the password protection was left enabled and, through my messing around, managed to reduce available tries to 4. I have read the faqs and various posts on wiping and installing new OS but find that desktop manager will not connect with the battery removed and asks for a password with the battery in. DO I HAVE TO BLOW THE 4 REMAINING ATTEMPTS to be allowed to install or is there a different way to reset (hard or soft)?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: password reset required - 4 tries left

If you put in the password wrong all the times the BB will be wiped automaticly and you will be able to reinstall the OS via Desktop Manager.
    You will not be able to connect DM without the password. Just like you can not use the BB without entering the password DM will ask you for the password before connecting.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

ok, did that - blew last 4 attempts and the apps were wiped. now when I connect, click on add, select any .alx from the directory - I get "no additional applications designed for your device were found". any thoughts there ?

oh sh*t, I finally clued into "for your device" and realized that my old BB was in it's cradle for a recharge!! DM picked that one and really wiped it. Once removed, I was able to connect to my 8700 but it wasn't wiped. The update said nothing to change and now I am syncing my PIM data with it ok. I did kill the password and it did say data would be erased - but maybe it doesn't do the apps ?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

What apps are you talking about?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by bbzone
    [...]
    but maybe it doesn't do the apps ?
    Correct, all content is wiped but the apps (and ringtones as well) stay on the machine. Also, if you for example delete the Help section, it won't automagically return after a wipe but only when you hook it up to the BB Desktop manager (and then recover it to fctory defauls using the app uploader).

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

bbzone, Welcome to PinStack.

Is everything working now?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

thanks Rcbjr - yes, all is well. My 957 was reloaded by BES admin today and my 8700r works as well as a handset without an lcd can work replacement is on the way. Out of context but perhaps of interest, I tried 3 times to reply here on Sympatico MSN but couldn't type in this field. I have logged out and returned on Mozilla with no problems.
    love the site
    bbzone