Hi all, I am traveling overseas (South Africa) next week and would like to know ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

cronkster54 no está en línea Stack level 1

Overseas access to email - 8700c and Cingular

Advertisement

Hi all, I am traveling overseas (South Africa) next week and would like to know what I can do to continue receiving my email while over there. I am with Cingular and have the 8700c. I have already signed up for Cingular's discounted roaming rates for voice. I would imagine there is an international data plan as well, can I sign up for this for a one month duration? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Re: Overseas access to email - 8700c and Cingular

Hi Cronkster,

I use Cingular and travel overseas quite often. Not sure about the coverage in south africa but...

They do have plans for lower roaming rates for voice, but haven't seen one for the data. I know the voice one you can turn on and off a month at a time.

Hope that helps.

cronkster54 no está en línea Stack level 1

Right, I have the voice plan and intend on keeping it just for a month or so. I know calling will be no problem, I was in this part of SA a couple of years ago and had five bar signal even in some remote villages. I need to find out about the data.....do you receive email while you are overseas?

Thanks for the reply

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

There is data coverage in SA. A few of my users have travelled there with their BB's.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

basic no está en línea Stack level 2

no worries. have travelled extensively to SA - mostly the Jo'burg / Sandton area and have had good gsm coverage with both data and voice.
    if you are staying a month plus - you may want to consider buying a sim card (airport is easy but anywhere available) for local calls - might end up cheaper depending on the expected volume.

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

If you're looking to keep your AT&T sim card in your BlackBerry and be able to make voice and use data internationally it's going to cost you an arm and a leg.

There is a BlackBerry International unlimited data plan which is $69.99 and that gives you unlimited data internationally as well as the discounted roaming charges as a per minute rate.

With that plan also comes a one year commitment where if it is removed there is a $175.00 fine.
    I have no idea how the charge is added if the data plan is removed or who actually handles that.. we were just advised of this "minor" detail a few short months ago here in the business department.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's an ETF like any other ETF. Prior to that you could add and remove the international BB data plan which really did cover all international BB data without any roaming charges.

A local SIM won't give you data though unless you can get a BB data plan on it (and no carrier offers BB data on prepaid that I'm aware of).