Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I "downgraded" my 8700g to 4.2. Tried 4.5 but the "improvements" were not that meaningful ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

No Thank You, 4.5

Advertisement

I "downgraded" my 8700g to 4.2. Tried 4.5 but the "improvements" were not that meaningful to me, and it s-l-o-w-e-d down my usually fast Berry. But the dealbreaker was that the Memo application in 4.5 opens directly to the edit screen, and so if I open a large document and press the letter B it types a B instead of going to the bottom of the document like a real BlackBerry. Navigating a large document is trackwheel-only. Also, 4.5 uses a lot more memory - -

jasonring no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    be kind

Smile

Gosh, sorry you had a bad time with it... Mine ran slower til I rebooted it after upgrading, but now I can't seem to put it down.

gixxerjoe no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I here ya on the memo thing!!! It is very annoying. But not enough to make me revert back. For the most part mine runs pretty smooth. But I have a 83xx series. So there may be a big difference in how the 87xx series responds. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Just my two cents but from what I have seen most people jumping from 4.2 all the way to 4.5 seem to be having more issues than most others. I know it doesn't make a lot of since but that seems to be the case.

It would seem that the 4.5 is more friendly to 8xxx series not counting the 8830 and anything below just seems to be a headache.Were there are some who say they have no issues but for the most part there are twice as many claiming issues. The 4.5 on my 8330 increased the memory. Seems to use less memory to run and all in all is 99.9% better than the 4.3 I had before. There is always going to be gliches in things like this. But when the gliches out way the bonuses I can totally understand not wanting to deal with it as you have.

Well, it's like this. When I sit in on meetings at work, and when I go to church, I take detailed notes using the Note Pad ap. Many of these sessions and/or sermons are extended, and so many of my notes are quite long. If a note has gotten long, I need to scroll through it to add an additional comment here and there. With 4.2, I can quickly save the document, then navigate quickly through it to drop a comment in another part of the document. I navigate with 4 keys: T goes to the top, B goes to the bottom, [space] pages down, [alt][space] pages up. In 4.5, the only navigation tool is the trackwheel.

Another example: I keep track of my car's gas mileage in Note Pad, too. Every time I fill up, I open the "Little Red Truck" memo, press B to get to the bottom of the l-o-n-g document, then switch to edit mode and add the new data. With 4.5 I don't have the option to go to the bottom of the document except through rolling-rolling-rolling-rolling-rolling the trackwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerjoe View Post
    I here ya on the memo thing!!! It is very annoying. But not enough to make me revert back. For the most part mine runs pretty smooth. But I have a 83xx series. So there may be a big difference in how the 87xx series responds. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Difference is processor speed. 4.1 and 4.2 run an 87xx lightning fast, but 4.5 slows it considerably, especially in it's first 30 minutes after a cold boot. I'm certain the 83xx uses a faster processor -

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Mark I totally understood your reason for downgrading I was not arguing your point. I was simply stating that it seems that 4.5 causes more issues with certain devices than others. If I was in the same position as you I would have done the same.

ernsalas no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have had relatively no issues with 4.5 you just have to be patient and understand that some aps may be different but in the long run 4.5 just offers more

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ernsalas View Post
    I have had relatively no issues with 4.5 you just have to be patient and understand that some aps may be different but in the long run 4.5 just offers more

Like Mark has stated certain devices may be better for running 4.5 but if the processor will not handle the load I can totally see where this would cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ernsalas View Post

Also, in addition to what ModernCowboy said, 4.5 and 4.2 are different enough that the real issue is not whether one OS is better than the other, but what each individual Berry user needs in a device. I rely heavily on MemoPad, Password Keeper, Calendar, etc., which, for my purpose, are stronger applications on 4.2 than on 4.5. Others may not use those aps at all and find other areas where 4.5 is stronger than 4.2.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Mark I totally understood your reason for downgrading I was not arguing your point. I was simply stating that it seems that 4.5 causes more issues with certain devices than others. If I was in the same position as you I would have done the same.
    My "Well it's like this" post was not aimed at you, but at gixxerjoe - for some reason I read his first phrase as "Here you go again on the Memo thing", (because I had been ranting in another thread about 4.5's memopad). He actually said "I hear ya", but for some reason every time I looked at his post I thought I saw "Here ya go again . . ."

I need to get my dam glasses cleaned, I guess

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Lol...glasses or late night posting if nothing else the point was made I believe on why certain people feel certain ways about different operating systems. You miss read gixxs post and I misunderstood yours. You need your glasses cleaned and I need to slow down when I am reading. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    If your biggest issue is memopad delete it and use BBnotepad. In my opinion bbnotepad is a better memopad. Plus you can save your notes to SD. 4.5 has Docs to go (this alone is worth the upgrade), html email, video streaming, google search intergrated with default BB browser menu and more. 4.5 is worth the upgrade.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Safiy View Post
    If your biggest issue is memopad delete it and use BBnotepad. In my opinion bbnotepad is a better memopad. Plus you can save your notes to SD. 4.5 has Docs to go (this alone is worth the upgrade), html email, video streaming, google search intergrated with default BB browser menu and more. 4.5 is worth the upgrade.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    Never heard of bbnotepad - where can i find it so i can try a copy? Sounds enticing - -

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    I actually posted a link here onthe Stack.he~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast