Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi I'm brand new here. I also am brand new to this whole blackberry talk. ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

702 no está en línea Stack level 1

Newbie: and have a 8700C Question

Advertisement

Hi I'm brand new here. I also am brand new to this whole blackberry talk. So It would be nice if you guys used simpler terminology? So I have a question that may seem very dumb. This also may have been asked before. So here it goes. I have a T-Mobile simcard in a Black Razr from Cingular that is unlocked. I was thinking about buying an unlocked Blackberry 8700C. It is my understanding that this specific model of the blackberry is on the Cingular network. If I buy an unlocked blackberry from Ebay and put my T-Mobile sim card into the blackberry should everything work alright? I have unlimited text messaging on my t-mobile account for about $15 and web for about $5. Would I be able to text message on the Blackberry? My main concern is that there will be an extra fee for text messaging because I don't have a blackberry data plan. Will they fee or charge me extra? For example charge me like 75 cents on each text sent since I don't have a blackberry data plan. Also would I be able to surf the web since I have the 5 dollar web plan? Or again would I be charged a fee for not having a blackberry data plan? I know I can simply switch to a bb data plan. However I am on a family plan and my father does not like me tampering with our plans & services. So that is not an option. Well, anyways I think i've gone on way too long. Thanks!

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Newbie: and have a 8700C Question

There's no point having a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry data plan. You'll just have a phone.

You will be able to send text messages, but you won't be able to surf the web.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

As already mentioned, if you take your current SIM card and drop it into the 8700C, you will be able to use the phone and text message, just like you would on your RAZR. Your 5 dollar web plan may give you some very basic web browsing capability, but I'm not sure about that one. If my assumptions are correct, your 5 dollar web plan gives you some WAP connectivity. There should be a WAP browser on the BB 8700C, but WAP as a technology is limited in its uses. As mentioned, you will not be able to use the full BlackBerry browser that comes with the BB. BlackBerry browser and WAP browser use different technologies, although they both come on a BlackBerry.

You sound like you're worried that if you drop this SIM card into the BlackBerry, you'll start getting charged all sorts of extra fees because you don't have a BB plan. Don't worry about this. You will not get any extra charges just for using the BB. My brother currently has done what you are proposing, except with an older BB model. My girlfriend also did this for a while, but she's on a BB plan now.

It's actually not a bad way of "test-driving" the BB. Of course, a lot of the value of BlackBerry comes when you activate a true BB data plan.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As eatmypiano said you will have basic phone and text capabilities, just like on your current phone. Your Text Messages will be deducted exactly as they are now and they are Phone Network managed, Not Data Network. You will not have access to anything that is related to DATA. No Blackberry Data Plan, No Data Services on BB Device. Your $5.00 plan will become useless for the BB.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

And notice he typed DATA in capitals so it's really important.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yes! Data is not the same as DATA!

It's emphasising the difference, as in gprs and GPRS. Or edge and EDGE.

For a BlackBerry device to work, it needs DATA, not data. (ie: GPRS or EDGE.)

Of course, this is strictly limited to GSM.

Err, I was joking. Data is the same as DATA. What you've said doesn't make any sense.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yes! Data is not the same as DATA!

It's emphasising the difference, as in gprs and GPRS. Or edge and EDGE.

For a BlackBerry device to work, it needs DATA, not data. (ie: GPRS or EDGE.)

Of course, this is strictly limited to GSM.
    You are correct edge and EDGE are different as well as gprs and GPRS both all Caps will allow data, lower case will not! Good point!

Ah! Is that what Lewis was getting at?! That's what threw me - There's EDGE & edge, GPRS and gprs, 3G and 3g and MIKE and mike - but not DATA and data. Sorry Lewis!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I was just trying to emphasize the word data. And you're right DATA, Data and data are all the same thing. Sorry to confuse everyone. Now do I really confuse all that read this later and edit my first post to de-emphasize it by removing the caps?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

OMG that was funny to read... Buddy, just get the BB plan..... you will be good to go......
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Welcome to Pinstack also 702....... hope we answered your questions...... lolol
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

LOL Okay so thanks everyone! I got my question answered I won't be charged any fees.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Hello 702, welcome to pinstack.com!

THanks, cp6169! I prev. owned a sidekick II and the people in this sidekick forum ( i can't remember the link ) weren't as nice as everyone else here. Well, okay so I have another stupid question. Where can I purchase a blackberry through cingular w/o a contract or extension. Meaning I'm willing to pay the invoice price of $349.99. I don't have a current cingular service. Would I simply be able to walk into a Cingular say and say "Can, I purchase this blackberry without the simcard and no contract?" Should I say something like I'm buying it as a present for someone who has cingular and has an older model of the bb and they would just simply swap sim cards? Yeah, sorry if I seem like a n00b.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast