I have the 8703e from Alltell. This phone is 1000 times different than my Treo ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

tjfaivre no está en línea Stack level 1

new to blackberry

Advertisement

I have the 8703e from Alltell.

This phone is 1000 times different than my Treo was..

Here are problems i cant figure out...

First...
    how do i change my sms ringtone? Ive read alot of comments on the site regaurding this, but cant seem to get a straight answer, and the ones i do get dont seem to be compatible with my phone...

Second...
    I see alot of you guys talk about the OS version 4.2 How do i know if mine is setup with this version? and if it has an older version does anyone have a direct link to download it?

Third...
    Email setup for a pop server using outlook? It keeps telling me to type in my password... I dont have a password on outlook.

Fourth...
    Did you guys get an operators manual for this thing? it just tells me to go look online..

Thank you in advance, just trying to get this phone to work makes me want to smash it and revive my treo that only works 1/2 the time...

edit:

I see where it says you need to change the sms under profiles, but all my profile tells me is:

Loud ( active )
    vibrate
    quiet
    normal
    phone only
    off
    Use Active Profile Except for:
    ( x ) Important calls
    Last edited by tjfaivre; 07-09-2007 at 05:22 PM.

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: new to blackberry

Ringer...double click on "loud" and that should take you to where ur email, sms, mms, phone and such is...

Manual...yes I got a manual and disk.

OS...click on options and click on about.

Hope these help as I am fairly new to BB too.

BTW, welcome to the stacks!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

alin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a241a4

Welcome to the Stacks!!! Did you get everything figured out?

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~welcome aboard, if did not figure it out yet let us know, just one question at a time. You are running version 4.1, 4.2 is not out yet for this model.

Best of luck

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by tjfaivre
    I see alot of you guys talk about the OS version 4.2 How do i know if mine is setup with this version? and if it has an older version does anyone have a direct link to download it?
    4.2 isn't available for the 8703's yet. What makes you think that you need 4.2?

Email setup for a pop server using outlook? It keeps telling me to type in my password... I dont have a password on outlook.
    Your POP account definitely has a password. You'll need it to set up your POP account with BIS. If you don't know the password then contact the person that set up Outlook for you or contact tech support for your email account.

Did you guys get an operators manual for this thing? it just tells me to go look online..
    There should have been one in the box. If not, you can always download manuals from Blackberry.com.

Thank you in advance, just trying to get this phone to work makes me want to smash it and revive my treo that only works 1/2 the time...
    You just need to get familiar with the BB. Download the Getting Started Guide and user manual from Blackberry.com. Visit and read up at BlackberrFAQ.com as well.

I see where it says you need to change the sms under profiles, but all my profile tells me is:

Loud ( active )
    vibrate
    quiet
    normal
    phone only
    off
    Use Active Profile Except for:
    ( x ) Important calls
    You're almost there. You're just looking at a list of profiles. You need to select the active profile to edit it and set the SMS alert. Each profile is a set of alerts. That way, if you want to silence the device you can choose the Quite profile. If you want to silence it but still get vibrating alerts you can choose Vibrate. If you don't want any alerts but you want to know when people call then choose Phone Only. You can also create your own profiles.

Again, get the manuals -- they'll definitely help.