Hello all, a couple of hours ago I received a new BB 8707g from O2 ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

AaaBaa no está en línea Stack level 1

New 8707g - where's my browser?!

Advertisement

Hello all, a couple of hours ago I received a new BB 8707g from O2 UK. But I can't believe that there is no brower!!

I'm on an unlimited data plan, and I've tried calling O2 but they referred me to BlackBerry - great help!! Do I need to wait for setting / software updates wirelessly? Do I need to install a CD on the PC?

I've looked everywhere for the icon with the arrow around it, tried changing themes, I've searched through these forums, and I've tried various things like hard reset (taking the battery out etc) but I can't get that icon!

When go the Options - Advanced Options - Browser all it says is:
    "Default browser configuration:" - and that's IT!

I have a full 3G signal.

I'd appreciate any help.

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: New 8707g - where's my browser?!

Quote Originally Posted by AaaBaa
    Hello all, a couple of hours ago I received a new BB 8707g from O2 UK. But I can't believe that there is no brower!!

I'm on an unlimited data plan, and I've tried calling O2 but they referred me to BlackBerry - great help!! Do I need to wait for setting / software updates wirelessly? Do I need to install a CD on the PC?

I've looked everywhere for the icon with the arrow around it, tried changing themes, I've searched through these forums, and I've tried various things like hard reset (taking the battery out etc) but I can't get that icon!

When go the Options - Advanced Options - Browser all it says is:
    "Default browser configuration:" - and that's IT!

I have a full 3G signal.

I'd appreciate any help.
    Ok either the browser application isn't installed (unlikely, but check in Options > Applications) or your device doesn't have any browser service books. This is much more likely, and to get them you'll need to be provisioned for some kind of browser service by o2. They set this up on a provisioning tool that is linked to RIM's infrastructure, once they've added this, it'll push a service book down to you and you should be good to go.

If they are sending you to speak to RIM, it doesn't sound like you've got through enough levels of customer services to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Hope this helps.

Incidentally, i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the 8707 when you do get it fully up and running...
    Miles.

Thanks for your reply. Under Options - Applications it does indicate "Brower...4.1" and "Javascript...4.1" so that seems to be good news, at least.

I'm going to call O2 again. If and when I get them to push a service book down to me, how will I know that I'm good to go - will I receive an SMS, will I need to restart?

Will def let you know of my experieces. It's my first BB in fact, and it does look like a great device, but you can imagine I'm sure that I nearly choked when I couldn't find that almost-mythical icon of the globe with an arrow around it.

I must say though, when you change themes, there's always a significant delay until the new theme is active, i.e. the trackwheel is unresponsive for a few seconds - maybe this is due to the apparently slower Qualcomm CPU that they use, as opposed to the Intel on the 8700s. (I got that info from these forums.)

Also - does the battery need a conditioning charge - it seemed that it was half-charged when I got it - I popped it in a few hours ago, and it's still going!!

stacyd no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204E5B2B

sometimes it takes a little bit to get the icon, and try turning off the device and turning it back on a couple of times evry so offten that dose the trick too
    pearld

scaredpoet no está en línea Stack level 2

if you haven't already, you need to get set up on O2's Blackberry Internet Service (if they support it) and then send BIS service books to your account. This should enable your web browser.

If you're on a corporate BlackBerry Enterprise Server, then you need to talk to your BES admin.

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

You can try the following, worked for me with the 7130e I just got for my wife. Go into options, select advanced options then select host routing table. Once your in this menu click the trackwheel and select register now. Do a battery pull and you should be good to go though you might have to do it a couple times. Hope this helps.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan08
    You can try the following, worked for me with the 7130e I just got for my wife. Go into options, select advanced options then select host routing table. Once your in this menu click the trackwheel and select register now. Do a battery pull and you should be good to go though you might have to do it a couple times. Hope this helps.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yup, a register now will register the blackberry on the bb provisioning system and should pull down any service books that the device gets from this provisioning system. It won't pull down the service book for your email though, you can only resend this from the BIS site when you are logged in.

I totally forgot to mention that if you haven't registered for a BIS account with o2, you'll need to do this.
    Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by miles_troope
    Yup, a register now will register the blackberry on the bb provisioning system and should pull down any service books that the device gets from this provisioning system. It won't pull down the service book for your email though, you can only resend this from the BIS site when you are logged in.

I totally forgot to mention that if you haven't registered for a BIS account with o2, you'll need to do this.

As I mentioned in an earlier new post, 02 have major problems with the 8707g. And they are known faults at 02, so it does beg the question of why they sell it as part of their BlackBerry offering. The browser doesn't work, the email did inititally, but now nor does that.

The 8700g apparently runs fine with 02, which is what they are now replacing my 8707g with...