so i currently have the 8700g and the desktop software 4.2.. when i first start ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

tlhamm89 no está en línea Stack level 1

needing desktop manager help

Advertisement

so i currently have the 8700g and the desktop software 4.2.. when i first start it up it says my pin number and says i'm connected. then when i click on media manager it says there is no device connected please connect your device. i am new to BB and have no clue what to do.. can someone please help!!

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Do you have your device software installed on your computer?
    that may be the issue
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by tlhamm89 View Post
    so i currently have the 8700g and the desktop software 4.2.. when i first start it up it says my pin number and says i'm connected. then when i click on media manager it says there is no device connected please connect your device. i am new to BB and have no clue what to do.. can someone please help!!
    What OS are you running on your 8700g?

what exactly is the device softeware? is it different than the desktop manager? if so where can i download it. i bought my phone off ebay and it didnt come with any software

Ok desktop manager runs on your computer
    Where the device software is what runs your phone. I'm on my bb now so I don't have the link handy but there is a thread on pinstack called "latest OS all models" scroll down to your phone, and there will be a link to your devices software on blackberry.com. Fill out the info needed to grant access and download the latest OS. It's fairly large so it will take some time to download.

Next, don't worry if the software is not for your carrier (ie: a verizion 8130 can use sprints OS for their 8130. But you cannot use another models OS (ie:a sprint 8130 cannot use any OS for the 8330) see what I mean?

If you do get another carriers OS just remember to go to C:\program files\common docs\research in motion\apploader and delete the vendor.xml file. (Sorry if that path is wrong I'm doin this from memory) then you can open DM with your berry pluged into your computer and it will tell you there is an updated software pack available. REMEMBER DO A BACKUP!!!!!

And DO NOT unplug your BB.
    And be patient this could take 45 min to do. And feel free to ask questions.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ok before i try this.. how do i do a backup.. and am i gonna lose all the ringtones.. phone numbers all that stuff that i already have?

ok an update.. i did a backup.. i downloaded the desktop manager installed.. i'm in the process of installing the device software. currently it is stuck on "disabled blackberry redirecter" the status says verifying forwarding address. ugh i'm so confused.. hopefully this explains enough what is going on.. if it's not enough let me know and i'll help you the best i can.. and THANKS so much for helping me with this

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    In case I missed it reading the posts. Who is your carrier. This may take a little time so don't get impatient. It can be hard to learn when you first start but once you do its awesome.

True enough modern.
    Tlhamm take whatever modern says for gospel this guys know his BB's.
    I'm not sure what blackberry redirector is modern what you think?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jasonring no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    be kind
    You hit the nail on the head lucifer..... cowboy'll get it done man.
    QUOTE=luciferseamus;992399]True enough modern.
    Tlhamm take whatever modern says for gospel this guys know his BB's.
    I'm not sure what blackberry redirector is modern what you think?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~[/QUOTE]

my carrier is tmobile