I installed OS 4.5, and it took a bunch of memory that was free in ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

TheJerk no está en línea Stack level 2

memory, how low is too low?

Advertisement

I installed OS 4.5, and it took a bunch of memory that was free in OS 4.2.

I'm current hovering around 12MB left. How low is too low before it starts to affect operation? For whatever reason, if I pull the battery I have around 23MB, and in short amount of use it drops to 12MB. Not sure what is using so much memory.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    It sounds like a memory leak. What 4.5 os are you running

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you memory drops down below 5MB it won't run well. Sounds like you have a lot of apps or some apps are going out and updating. Like weathereye or viigo they do updates every 1/2 hour. Go into this apps under options and change the update to an hour or longer.Hope this help you.

I have the latest version for the 8700c, as of a month ago.

I have very few applications, and only one actually running constantly (weatherbug)...nothing different/more than with 4.2. I only have yahoo go and google mobile on this, besides weatherbug.

tigerbluemusic no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ha. Try dropping from 25 to 0.05 in 40 hours! That is what my bold does

Well, it might be solved...

I removed a bunch of RIM applications that were more for BB Enterprise and uneeded by me. That freed up some memory in itself. Yes, everything still works as it should. I simply looked at the application list, researched it online to determine its purpose, and removed it if it didn't appear needed.

And based on the company's IT guy's recommendation, I removed and reloaded the only non-BB application that I had running all the time...weatherbug. So far, iin two days I have dropped from 24MB to 21MB...so something might have worked. I wouldn't say its cured yet...give it some time to tell, but it looks good so far.

This 8700c is also working a bit faster too...probably was running into memory issues.

Is there anyway to "reboot" an 8700 without pulling the battery???

ur561ad no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have 30298575 bytes. How much is that? 8330 4.5.0.131 os.

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    I'm on Sprint. I went and deleted their software and music store, brickbreaker and tasks. Things I never use. My memory use to drop below 13m. Now it stays above 20. Plus I have a big improvement in performance. Not as many hour glasses.

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    [QUOTE=ur561ad;1167829]I have 30298575 bytes. How much is that? 8330 4.5.0.131
    That means you have 30Mb, you have enough memory.

ur561ad no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thank you automan!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJerk View Post
    Well, it might be solved...

I removed a bunch of RIM applications that were more for BB Enterprise and uneeded by me. That freed up some memory in itself. Yes, everything still works as it should. I simply looked at the application list, researched it online to determine its purpose, and removed it if it didn't appear needed.
    This is an outstanding fix, I think it's something every BlackBerry user should do. There are many applications taking up flash that are not necessary, or you may not use. Help, Tasks, Languages, etc., aps that can be re-installed if need be. Brick Breaker is another.

Is there anyway to "reboot" an 8700 without pulling the battery???
    No. "Re-booting" in the sense you mean in this context is for the releasing of file handles, and there is no other way than to remove power.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Hit left alt + right shift + del

Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Hit left alt + right shift + del
    I think in the context of TheJerk's needs for a reboot, this key combination won't work - power needs to be removed so that application file handles can be released. My only current BB is a 7290 (old by most people's standards -) but a quick test indicates to me that the key combination causes a quick reboot without helping memory issues. I might be wrong, newer models may do it differently . . .

Just reconfirmed. I read available memory, then started 4 RIM aps. After I immediately closed the aps, I rechecked memory, and there was less free memory. I used the key combination reboot and after a short boot, the memory loss remained. Then I pulled the battery, let it boot up, and the memory was restored. . .

Everything seems to be working well...the only thing that hangs up (and I feel it is unrelated because it just started happening) is the WAP browser won't open...the BB browser works fine, but the ATT browser will refuse to open. And the funny thing is that it will work fine for a few times after a battery pull, then not work. I'm thinking this might be a WAP issue and not an application issue.

OS4.5 has caused me minimal grief since installing, but still requires a battery pull once and a while...this makes it hard to judge how low my memory will actually go. So far however, it seems to be working...

I deleted a few things from this originally...the TTY phone dialer, all the extra languages, etc. When I upgraded to OS4.5, I opted for everything offered thinking "I might need that someday". If I need it, I will download it at that point. That's where I started deleting this time...

On a side note, OS4.5 solved my wandering clock issues...it stays synch'd to the network now.