How do you find a blackberry's MAC address? I need it to get some of ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

MAC address

Advertisement

How do you find a blackberry's MAC address? I need it to get some of my e-mail delievered to my blackberry. I have an 8700c with cingular.

Thanks

kb9liq

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Re: MAC address

It doesn't have a MAC address. The BlueTooth Radio will if you've got a BlueTooth device but the BlackBerry doesn't.

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

How would the mac address help?

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

My school e-mail requires me to give IT my MAC address in order to access the site (I think that is in order to connect via an IMAP connection.) I don't think they need one in order to connect through webaccess, but I'll need to talk to them a little more about it. If anyone has any suggestion that would be nice since I won't see them till this week.

Thanks

Kb9liq

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

I've just never heard that before! That would be a real pain. If you changed hardware you have to go through that again...

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

If you have a device that supports WIFI, the MAC address will be on the little white label under the battery. Note that this ISN'T the BT MAC Address which is for BlueTooth.

If you're not using a WiFi device, then this isn't applicable. The only way you're going to get emails to your device is through BIS and it sounds as though your school limits the firewall connections by MAC address. If they're doing that, the aggregators will never be able to contact your mail server unless your school changes it's policy.

curtst no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by eatmypiano View Post
    If you have a device that supports WIFI, the MAC address will be on the little white label under the battery. Note that this ISN'T the BT MAC Address which is for BlueTooth.

If you're not using a WiFi device, then this isn't applicable. The only way you're going to get emails to your device is through BIS and it sounds as though your school limits the firewall connections by MAC address. If they're doing that, the aggregators will never be able to contact your mail server unless your school changes it's policy.
    The only way I could get my MAC address on my BB is actually connecting it to my wireless network at home. When I look at the white label all it says is BT MAC. That MAC is different from its wifi MAC.

I was MAC filtering to keep people from connecting to my wireless network so its the only way for me to use the device. I had to disable the MAC filtering, connect my device, disconnect then re-enable the filter. Once I did the the MAC info shows up automatically, at least on my D-Link DI-524, in a drop down menu.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    How do you find a blackberry's MAC address? I need it to get some of my e-mail delievered to my blackberry. I have an 8700c with cingular.
    If your BB had a MAC address it wouldn't help anyway. The BB is essentially a frontend for BIS and/or BES. It doesn't do any mail collection on its own. All BB email is push (pushed from BIS/BES). You'd need to supply them the MAC address of the BIS server -- assuming that there is only one server which is probably doubtful.

karl427 no está en línea Stack level 1

Too many MACs

Quote Originally Posted by eatmypiano View Post

I use MAC filtering on my routers for security, and sure enough, entering the BT MAC address did not work. I had to disable the MAC filtering, connect the BB, and then look up the address leases on the DHCP server to establish the correct MAC address (which was close to the BT one but the last 3 digits were different). I could not find this address on any label.
    Once the real WiFi MAC address was entered, I turned MAC filtering back on and all was fine.