Hi I understand that you can set up to automatically lock the device after say ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

B4dger no está en línea Stack level 1

Locking without a password

Advertisement

Hi
    I understand that you can set up to automatically lock the device after say 1 minute. Then to unlock you need a password.

I would like to have the device automatically lock the screen after a set period of time BUT not have to unlock with a password.

At the moment I have to remember to manually lock it after I use it. I don't want to.

Can this be done?

Any advice thanks

B4dger

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Re: Locking without a password

I'm not familliar with the 8700, but I know most RIM devices have alot of similarities so try this: Options> Security Options (or Security Settings)> General Settings> Password

Select either "Disabled" or "Off".

Hope this works. And welcome!
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

Hi
    Thanks Justyn
    I've done that but the phone will now stay active until I manually lock it. The backlight goes out but the device is still on. Hope I'm clear in my explanation.
    Thanks
    B4dger

Quote Originally Posted by B4dger
    Hi
    I understand that you can set up to automatically lock the device after say 1 minute. Then to unlock you need a password.

I would like to have the device automatically lock the screen after a set period of time BUT not have to unlock with a password.

At the moment I have to remember to manually lock it after I use it. I don't want to.

Can this be done?

Any advice thanks

B4dger
    No. If the password is disabled, the "Security Timeout" is disabled also. Two things, though: you don't have to scroll to the lock icon to lock the device, there's a simple keystroke combination -- "alt" and then "enter" will accomplish it. After a little while it gets to be second nature. Also, you can program your "soft" key to lock the keyboard. Also, if I remember correctly, there's a button on the left side of the 8700 that some themes use for "Profiles", I don't remember whether it can be programmed or not, but it's a possibility.

However, I don't know how sensitive the infomation is on your BB, but I would consider continuing to use a password -- we never know if the handheld is going to be lost or stolen someday, and I personally feel alot more secure knowing that my information is unavailable to a "finder"

PIN/ID
    n/a

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~oh I see. So you want it to lock (regardless of where its at) when the backlite turns off? Or do you want it off just when you're not using it. There is a Lock Upon Holstering option all new BBs have. Is that what you're thinking about? Or do you want it to lock after sitting on your table for so long?

PIN/ID
    n/a

Whoah Mark, you beat me to it! That must be a shortcut for the 8700 only, because when I tried it last on my Pearl it tried to change my BB to some kind of Greek setting. But yeah, if that button's programmable that would work too!
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

Hi
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes I already have the side convenience key set to lock the device.

However what I want is for it to automatically lock out without any input by me. Just like the backlight goes out .

Thanks
    B4dger

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn
    Whoah Mark, you beat me to it! That must be a shortcut for the 8700 only, because when I tried it last on my Pearl it tried to change my BB to some kind of Greek setting. But yeah, if that button's programmable that would work too!
    Yeah, I remember that happening when I had my 8700 -- the side button changed language, or something. I thought it was wierd. But when I updated the OS from 4.1 to 4.2 it became Profiles. I don't remember if it's programmable, though -- I assume so.