My friend wants to get his first blackberry most likley the 8700 from att he ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

locked vs. unlocked GSM Blackberry question?

Advertisement

My friend wants to get his first blackberry most likley the 8700 from att he wants to keep his att number so its an upgraded not a new line...I am wondering should he get an unlocked 8700 gsm from ebay so he can use differrent sim cards.. if he is overseas for say 10 days and wants to pick up a German sim card or one in mainland China while there for 2 weeks? ...here is another question can you use someones sim card to check your blackberry mail while overseas?

or should he just get a locked phone from ATT ... I use an unlocked razr phone in the Bahamas every year, we go for 7 days this way the office can call me for alot less than international raoming rates and calling local places in the bahamas from the hotel or Beach is not an international call.

ebay has unlocked 8700 for $365.00 im not sure what the upgrade dpice from att is he has not gotten a new phone in years

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: locked vs. unlocked GSM Blackberry question?

billytickets,

I'm not positive, but he can get a new Blackberry from Cingular (AT&T), and keep his current Phone number. He may have to give up any grandfathered Phone Plan though. If he is in good standing on his account, he can get the unlock code from Cingular for overseas travel.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

AFAIK no Blackberry data plans are available on prepaid SIM's for any carrier. You might want to check on that if that's the reason for pursuing an unlocked device. It can be difficult to get a device unlocked by Cingular but they will do it.

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the info i will just tell him to do the upgrade thru att