I recently picked up a 8700v locked to the UK Vodafone network. I have sent ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

arul no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203BDFB0

Locked 8700v

Advertisement

I recently picked up a 8700v locked to the UK Vodafone network. I have sent off for an unlock code and hope i am able to unlock it. However, meanwhile i thought i'd update the firmware.
    But the problem is the unit is not recognised by my computer (WinXP). My 7100 is recognised fine but not the 8700. I noticed on the unit that it had a IT policy on it (the old owner must have not removed it before). I bought the unit from what i believe is a reputable ebay seller (over 5700 feedback).
    I even tried pairing it via BT but it doesnt seem to connect.

I have tried serching the net for answers but have come up empty. I would really appreciate assistance on the following:

- Is the IT Policy causing the unit not to be recognised by my computer or is my USB port fried somehow?
    - Would the unlock code i'm waiting for remove the IT Policy?
    - Can i upgrade the unit firmware using BT?
    - Anyone (who has a BES) who can help me remove the IT Policy pls

thanks again

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Locked 8700v

I don't know much about BES, but I have had crazy USBs before. Do you have another you can try. My PC has them on the front and back, and luckily only one set tends to space out at a time. I could be productive and fix the problem,... but it works most of the time. Oh, do you have another cable to try too? The cable gets us all the time at work.

I am going to guess you might have to wipe the BB and then reload the OS to get past anything someone loaded on it in the past.... could be wrong, so maybe a BES expert could help out You can wipe it without hooking up to the PC by setting the password & typing it in wrong 10 times. Make sure you are ready to reload an OS when you do this as the BB will not work until a new OS is put on.

You are not going to be able to update the OS via BT, has to be connected to the PC. Sorry.

Here is a thread about wipping the BB:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=2383

If I picked up a used BB, personally I would wipe it and load the new OS, but I am paraniod about what the previous owner might have left.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok. I am mobile right now so I don't know the exact link, but its here somewhere. There is a "guide to buying/selling a blackberry" that everyone should read before buying or selling one of these devices-especially if it had an IT policy previously. If u don't find that link by the time I check the boards again, I will post it here.

Hope this helps.

N8

PIN/ID
    203BDFB0

melissaox - thanks for the suggestions. i have checked the cable and the port - my BB7100 works fine.

N8DBB - will try looking for it. but post it here when you log on anyway pls.

thanks guys

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I think this is the link N8 is talking about:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=3207
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    203BDFB0

Just an update - all sorted out. Managed to remove the IT policy - thanks to everyone who helped.
    Got the unlock code as well (from UnlockItnow.com - great quick service).

The USB cable was a little tricky - but i think it was just a little loose, so some jiggling managed to sort it out. Hopefully i dont have any more trouble with it.

Happily running the new 8707 OS on it too...sweet!!!

Thanks again all.

[mods - you can lock the thread]