Hi all...just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following problem and if so...any correction? ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

nikosia no está en línea Stack level 3

lag spike in signal strength?

Advertisement

Hi all...just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following problem and if so...any correction?

I use a 8703e with VZW..at home...it will go from full strength signal to just bottom out all the way. Happens fairly often. Anyone else?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: lag spike in signal strength?

Is that common for you, or something recent? It could be your service provider has weak signal in your area, or you are in an area that signal can fluctuate depending on conditions.

thanks CP...well I just moved anyway...so we will see how it does. the conditions could likely be the culprit.

eric.barcus no está en línea Stack level 1

i notice that at my place of work (and i work at verizon) explain more about the area/s you are in/at when you experiance this

PLUS im working on a MOD to the internal anntenna for VZW cust this weekend!!! ill let you know how my experiments go (the Anntenna is VERY easily accessable)
    BB newbie that loves to mod gadgets, lets get to work!
    pin:32b30d69
    Verizon branded 8703e <-looking for gps hack

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im definately interested the internal antenna...can you elaborate more? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikosia
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im definately interested the internal antenna...can you elaborate more? Thanks
    well im goign to test a couple of methods first (if i can get away from the comp) and then ill post some results but basicly if you open up a 8703e VZ BB the anttenna is at the bottom below the space bar and it will easily slide on and off the main circuit board so modding this little thing should be super easy

i just want to find the easist most effective method

UPDATES:since i cant get away from the copmputer ill work on the antenna mod and write updates (more to come)

2-15-07 930pst
    Ive discovered that one method will not work with out cutting the PCB
    ALSO discovered which antenna lead controls the signal strenght
    ODD FIND, disconnected the internal antenna and STILL had 1XEV and perfect internet BUT bo signal strenght showed on the BB ODD!
    NOTE: a HUGE spool of soulder workds as a pretty good antenna ha ha

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by nikosia
    Hi all...just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following problem and if so...any correction?

I use a 8703e with VZW..at home...it will go from full strength signal to just bottom out all the way. Happens fairly often. Anyone else?
    I have seen this at home on my Pearl only a few times in the 3 weeks I've had it. It'll go from "EDGE" to "Searching For Network" in 2 seconds and back again

I used to see this more often on my GSM 7100's when I used them LOL (7105's bounced around from GPRS to gprs to GSM to gsm to Searching For Network or No Service quite frequently) . I even had a 7100T just up and drop signal completely 2 years ago (defective unit which was replaced) at home.

Eric,

Thanks...I appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot and enhance fixing this issue. However, if I were to open the phone wouldnt this void out any warranty? These spikes are horrible...especially annoying that clients keep telling me that my voice just dissapears...and it happens way to often.

Does anyone know if this is grounds to return the phone (out of the prescribed ruturn policy)? I do have insurance on the phone.

I love this phone (8703e) but if my voice dissapears 3 times or more during a conversation with clients...well...the awesome device becomes not so awesome.

Any suggestions are welcome

also are there external antennaes that would boost it for the car or home. I like it so i'm flexible

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~true there are external antennas and I'm looking into actually using this handy little "port" to add a stronger internal anntena (there is plenty of room in the case) last night I ended my work early to look for a "cheap" adapter that will fit in the existing internal anntenna adapter. Other options include using the exposed leads from the exsisting anntenna well see where this goes

Eric,

i like the idea of the external antennae to boost reception..however, this port you speak of...the one internal..does that void out the warranty?

What is the model number and name of this external antennae? Can it be used for both Car and home?

Thanks

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the external anntennas should be easy to find, I haven't searched yet. Also hooking up an internal antenna to the BB'S external anntenna adapter will mean that you could not plug in an external antenna