I bought my 8700g off ebay, and it's not bad, overall. One major default (though ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

ElleM69 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Keys not working...

Advertisement

I bought my 8700g off ebay, and it's not bad, overall. One major default (though phone was listed as "great condition") is the backspace/delete key does not work. So to correct any typing I have to shift/scroll, which isn't so bad, but I would prefer the bsp work. I ordered a new housing from ebay that comes with a keyboard, do you think this will remedy the problem, or is it likely to be more broken than that?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Keys not working...

This may/may not remedy the problem as the issue may be the connectors under the keyboard that are causing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ElleM69 View Post
    I bought my 8700g off ebay, and it's not bad, overall. One major default (though phone was listed as "great condition") is the backspace/delete key does not work. So to correct any typing I have to shift/scroll, which isn't so bad, but I would prefer the bsp work. I ordered a new housing from ebay that comes with a keyboard, do you think this will remedy the problem, or is it likely to be more broken than that?
    I'm a little more pessimistic here than Lavagirl. The keyboard on the 87xx is really meaty, the plastic pins under the buttons are thick and they are guided by a 1/8" plastic form. It's made well enough that a keyboard glitch like this is most certainly electronic, on the board where you can't fix it. I think the only way the pin could have broken or been misaligned is if the Berry had been taken apart previously and put back together abusively. I hope putting on the new cover solves it, but like I said, I'm pessimistic -

ameilius no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DDD916

a friend of mine had the same issue with the @/p key and the DEL key

he replaced the keyboard and it didnt do anything

its most likely a fracture or something similar on the actual contact on the circuit board

MAIN REASON why id never buy anything previously owned - im so sceptical... id rather kanive customer service with threats to cancel etc and get an upgrade price rather than buy used - haha

SIMPLYTERRI no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    i had the same problem one time i connectors on the keyboard were broken and i replaced all but the actualy phone was messed up, u can guarentee the keyboard is ok, as mark said earlier, probably electrical meaning it cant be fixed. If you purchase another used phone i suggest using craigslist or some other local seller that way you can test out the phone before the purchase

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    I had an issue with an ebay Curve not too long ago where some of the buttons didn't work- I took the keypad and keyboard off and cleaned it with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol, which usually worked for me in the past with other phones, but it didn't work after I put it back together... took the keyboard off and pushed the contacts with my fingernail, they worked fine... put the keyboard back on, stopped working, so I backed off one of the screws a tiny bit and it was fine after that... go figure...