One of our associates is having a problem using lookup and find on his contacts. ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

MBG
    MBG no está en línea Stack level 1

Issue with Lookup and Find in Contacts

Advertisement

One of our associates is having a problem using lookup and find on his contacts. He has an 8700c. I've never used lookup, I simply use find. However if you enter one letter, say "T" it brings up a couple of entries but not all. Lookup also only brings up entries by one letter. Then, it auto arranges so the lookup is now at the top of his list, regardless of how it is sorted. He has 3,000+ entries, but still has 4 million bytes left.

I checked his settings against mine (which works fine) and can't find anything different. Checked to make sure he didn't have any filters on, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyone else experience this or have suggestions on what to check next? Is it possible that he has exceeded the memory needed to upload, sort and find?

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Did he try typing in the whole name, clicking the trackwheel and selecting "Lookup". This will search your contact database (and work database if you are on BES).

prickleypete no está en línea Stack level 2
    Definitely a good practice issue... Since you are on a BES, equate the same lookup to how would you lookup a person from your Desktop Email application. If you have a large company, you wouldn't simply enter "T" to start looking up a persons name.

Enter the same lookup string regardless of which device email is originating from. For example, if the last name is "Thacker", enter "Thac" then press lookup. The amount of data will be much less.

Remember, when you start typing a name, it will automatically search your local address book / Outlook&Notes Contact DB first. Selecting the Lookup feature envokes the Global Address List search. Just have your user be smart and perform similar tasks as how they would do it locally, but remind them that the speed of the connection is much slower and they should be more precise with their search criteria.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by MBG
    I've never used lookup, I simply use find.
    Lookup is used for GAL searches if you're on a BES. Find searches through the local contacts.

However if you enter one letter, say "T" it brings up a couple of entries but not all.
    It should bring up entries that, using your example, begin with the letter T (not ones that merely contain the letter T). As you enter more characters, it should narrow down the results. Is this in line with what you're expecting?

Lookup also only brings up entries by one letter. Then, it auto arranges so the lookup is now at the top of his list, regardless of how it is sorted.
    You have to delete Lookup results unless you want to keep them.

MBG
    MBG no está en línea Stack level 1

Lookup and Find

I've checked out a couple of other associate's contacts and they're all working okay. The only thing I can see different about this users contacts is that he has over 3,000 contacts, versus my 300

In this particular instance, he can type an exact last name under "find" and it comes back with no entries even though the name has been verified to be in his contact list.

I was wondering if by chance there isn't enough memory for the search to work correctly....but since I don't know how the search program works in the background I'm just taking a WAG.

Thanks for your responses, I learn something new about these contraptions every day