Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Is upgrading the OS on a BB 8700r possible via OTA? How (what site) is ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

  1. #1
    bbmike's Avatar
    bbmike no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PIN/ID
    23A4788C
    Posts
    37

    Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Advertisement



    Is upgrading the OS on a BB 8700r possible via OTA? How (what site) is this done?

    Cheers!
    PIN anytime: 23A4788C

    Using Torch on Telus in Canada.

  2. #2
    williamlc21's Avatar
    williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    653

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    No, can't be done ota.
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

  3. #3
    cp6169's Avatar
    cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Posts
    14,661

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    I wouldnt think so because the size of all the necessary files.

  4. #4
    mrnoname's Avatar
    mrnoname no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,805

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    RIM is working on this now. Ive read a few articles that say it will only be available on the 4.2 OS devices. But to answer your question, no, not at this time. You will sill have to download it to your PC and use your app loader.

  5. #5
    eatmypiano's Avatar
    eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    196

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    RIM is working on this now.
    No they're not.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    Ive read a few articles that say it will only be available on the 4.2 OS devices.
    Articles from RIM?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    But to answer your question, no, not at this time.
    Or ever. It's not possible. It's a security requirement that you can't make changes to the OS OTA.

  6. #6
    mrnoname's Avatar
    mrnoname no está en línea Stacker
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,805

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

    Maybe you need to read more. Cause they are. I've read about it in 2 other forums. So before you go telling someone they are wrong. Try checking for yourself.
    Last edited by mrnoname; 10-29-2006 at 01:30 PM.

  7. #7
    jhowle's Avatar
    jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    Posts
    525

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Okay to Member "EATMYPIANO". listed dude i read your profile and i have to say i have never read such crap. Who really cares if you work for RIM or and affiliate. The bottom line is that when you try to call RIM they hand you over to the cell phone carrier for problem resolution. I have tried to this on numerous occassions and RIM will not offer support unless it is beyond the cell phone carriers capabilities to fix. Please dont come in these forums trying to represent that just because you supposedly work for RIM that you know everything there is to know about them. These forrums are here for end users to help one another out with problems because RIM doesn"t seem to want to help very much. It makes me upset to know thta all the money i invested in there product falls without great support. The fact that you come in here with the statements about how wrong these forrums are and the advertisment that you work for RIM is enough to make me through mine away in favor of a TREO. Please do us all a favor and if you have to advertise that tyou work for RIM and continue to beat every here down because they wanna help each other than maybe you should find somewhere else to go. We are all adults, is whats on you website really necessary.


    My to Cents

  8. #8
    eatmypiano's Avatar
    eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    196

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Yes, what is on my website is necessary. I'm quite sure I've helped quite a few people on here. If the fact that I work for RIM is enough to make you buy a Treo, then you go ahead.

    If you had a problem with a Nokia or a Sony, would you phone them or your carrier? So the fact that RIM employs the same industry standard business model as every other mobile device manufacturer annoys you why?

    While I see your point about reading more in these forums, you have to remember the great stories that have appeared in these forums such as Apple and RIM teaming up to make the AppleBerry, one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

    I have tried my best to be helpful in this forum. I'm quite sure I've helped a lot of people. I'm covered by RIMs NDA and I'm not allowed to tell you what our future products are - but I am allowed to tell you what they aren't. If you feel that someone who works at RIM knows less about RIM than some random guy, then that's fine by me.

    I don't "advertise" that I work for RIM - I put it there so that people don't think they're sharing their device information with some numpty who works in the military and can't spell "throw" or "forums". If it really bothers you, send an email to stthompson@rim.com and see if I reply.

    Oh, and what is on MY website has nothing to do with you. I thought you'd be in to free speech.

  9. #9
    EvolutionCSR's Avatar
    EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,711

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Yeah I have also read about it in other forums. Rim is working on it for BES 5.0 I believe no word if it will be available for BIS users.

    And its from people that know what they are talking about PM me and ill give you a link. check it out for yourself.

  10. #10
    N8DBB's Avatar
    N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    I personally do not see the advantages of having an OTA OS. No backup. And what do you do if something goes wrong? I just don't see it a very good thing.

    On a seperate note, don't let this post generate into a flaming or argument post.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  11. #11
    jhowle's Avatar
    jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    Posts
    525

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Wasn't trying to start an argument, just stating the there is hypocrisy in the fact that he wants to help but he bashs these forums in his website.

    This a great and very helpful community which i am proud to be part of. Lets just say i think the statements on his website aren't very nice.
    Last edited by jhowle; 10-29-2006 at 08:58 PM.

  12. #12
    Rcbjr's Avatar
    Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Posts
    14,848

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Not very nice but True. And sometime's I fall into the area that He is talking about. As much as I try not to, I have posted incorrect solutions in the forums. But I try to learn from . But as he says, incorrect suggestions just cause more problems than they solve.

    And I too am proud to be a part of this Forum, as I think eatmypiano is.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

  13. #13
    jhowle's Avatar
    jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05
    Posts
    525

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    i'll take it it with a grain of salt then,, no more from me about it

  14. #14
    N8DBB's Avatar
    N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhowle
    Wasn't trying to start an argument, just stating the there is hypocrisy in the fact that he wants to help but he bashs these forums in his website.
    I know you weren't...I just wanted to throw it in there to make sure that it didn't...It wasn't directed towards anyone in particular, so don't think that.

  15. #15
    eatmypiano's Avatar
    eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    196

    Re: Is OS upgrade possible via OTA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Not very nice but True. And sometime's I fall into the area that He is talking about.
    That's just it. You have the guts to admit you're wrong - I've seen you do it, just as I have. A lot of the stackers on here do. And, I would like to add, 99.99999999% of the advice given on here is correct AND there are people on here who have spotted things I've missed on at least two occasions. But there are 4 threads on PINStack about the subject mentioned in my blog and the same person has said "it does work" every time, even when someone who wasn't me very kindly said "I tried it, it doesn't work". That kind of beligerence leads to misinformation and confusion. 50 people come on here, see a message that says it does work, they want to know why it doesn't work for them. It leads to a poor user experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    And I too am proud to be a part of this Forum, as I think eatmypiano is.
    I keep coming back, don't I? I especially like how helpful everyone is to each other. I'm still only at level 3 because I come in here and find there's not many questions for me to answer because you lot have done it already. I just don't like people thinking their BlackBerrys (please note - it IS BlackBerrys and not BlackBerries ) do things they don't. Another example is the 8800 post that was on here. Everyone was saying "don't like this" and "don't like that". What the pictures show is a very early prototype. You should have seen some of the 8100 prototypes - they were ugly. RIM does function before beauty. No point have a case of x by y by z and seeing what you can fit in it - better to do it the other way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •