I have a user that travels from the US to the Asia/Pacific region frequently. He ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

Is 8707v from Hong Kong unlocked?

Advertisement

I have a user that travels from the US to the Asia/Pacific region frequently. He is interested in a BlackBerry 8700 series device. He has seen a 8707v in Hong Kong that he is interested in because it has UMTS support. Now, some questions:

1. Does the 8707v (Vodaphone) come unlocked when purchased in Hong Kong?

2. We use Cingular as a carrier. Will Cingular's SIM allow UMTS service while roaming internationally?

3. Will a "standard" quad-band Cingular 8700c work in Japan, which is almost exclusively UMTS 2100 service?

Thanks for your assistance!

Dave

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Is 8707v from Hong Kong unlocked?

1. Most Blackberries don't come unlocked. It has to be done by the user. Either by obtaining the code form the carrier or purchasing it from an online vendor.

2. You might have to check that with Cingular. See if they allow UMTS for roaming internationally.

3. An unlocked 8700c should work as far as voice goes. If the user wants to set up the Blackberry Data, they will have to contact the local carrier and see if they can add it to their account. You might also have to get Cingular to release the PIN and IMEI so that the device can be used on another carrier.

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

I did find out from Cingular that a US phone will not work in Japan. The user must rent a phone in Japan that is UMTS 2100 capable. But Cingular did say that the SIM will work in a Japanese phone if the Cingular account has international roaming enabled.

I'm still curious if the 8707v is an unlocked device or if it will need to be unlocked.

Any info is appreciated!

Dave

knights no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by db869
    I did find out from Cingular that a US phone will not work in Japan. The user must rent a phone in Japan that is UMTS 2100 capable. But Cingular did say that the SIM will work in a Japanese phone if the Cingular account has international roaming enabled.

I'm still curious if the 8707v is an unlocked device or if it will need to be unlocked.

Any info is appreciated!

Dave
    i onced asked CSL Hong Kong via email if their BB units are unlocked and how much are the retail prices. they replied to me with the prices only. if you have chance for stopover in singapore, visit their retail stores. i'm sure their (i.e., SingTel and StarHub) BB's are all open line. both telco i believe are selling 8707g units.

MCM
    MCM no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204C8C85

Nope... I was in HK last month and worked on this issue because I wanted to get one in HK. Spoke to all the service providers and none can unlock the device. Finally, I bought my 8707 back home because some of the features are hardcoded by the service provider.

Hope this help...

tfung no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2076720F

I am using a 8707g from CSL in Hong Kong. It was unlocked when I bought it, and I was able to use my Smartone-vodafone sim card without any problems. Some features offered by CSL isn't available though, like Easyconference, apply daily news and and reuters newsclips.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90
    I've just been testing an 8707v from Hong Kong with a Cingular SIM. (we want to use them as loaners for our US users traveling to Japan or South Korea)

The device seems to be unlocked, as I was able to setup the device on our BES, access the web and make calls.

I'm trying a T-Mobile SIM now, and it also works just fine.

BTW- This is the cleanest, most bling free BB I've seen since the 957. I want one now.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.