I have an unlocked Cingular 8700c BB that I am currently using as a voice ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

bnam no está en línea Stack level 1

internet without BB service

Advertisement

I have an unlocked Cingular 8700c BB that I am currently using as a voice only device with Airtel (India). I went to an Airtel center to see if I could get internet access on my device -- I am not interested in the BB email service and our Corp BB service has not yet proliferated to our India site. The Airtel guy told me that the only way to get internet was to sign up for BB service. Is this a technical limitation or is there a way that I can get regular EDGE service (that Airtel offers) and just use an Opera or other browser to view my Yahoo mail?

Thanks

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: internet without BB service

You will have to sign up for the BB service to use the BB internet (and avoid overage charges). It is possible to load Opera Mini and use it as your browser but you will be charged per KB of data you use.

bnam no está en línea Stack level 1

Airtel has an unlimited data offering on EDGE that is less expensive than the equivalent BB ervice offering from Airtel. So, I want to know if I can just get internet access without subscribing to the Blacbkberry service.
    B

rubikscube no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The airtel guy is lying to you, well that's airtel. You have to call airtel and tell them to activate it, or call I guy in ur tech department and he'll have it done, I have 999 unlimited data plan. But airtel is a crappy service they have blocked APN so the only apps I can work are google maps and iskoot
    For more info pm me
    Cheers
    Ragav

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You really need a BB data plan for data services on a BB.

There are some people who have been able to get data on a regular EDGE/GPRS data plan but you need the TCP settings for your carrier. This doesn't work in all cases. There are plenty of threads that address this if you care to do your homework. However, if you must have data on a BB then get a BB data plan.