My boyfriend has an 8707v which he bought from eBay. It has no OS on ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Womble_Lancs no está en línea Stack level 1

Question How do I obtain the OS for a 8707v?

Advertisement

My boyfriend has an 8707v which he bought from eBay. It has no OS on it, and the display just shows the 507 error message.

When I connect the device to the computer, the computer recognises that a BB has been connected. I can launch the desktop manager, but when I go to the application loader, it tells me that I do not have the device software for the device.

I've searched the BB website and downloaded what I thought was the correct software, but when I run it, it asks me for a *.axl or *.ali file, and these are not in the zip file, or on my CD.

I've spent the best part of 4 hours searching this site, and tried many of the solutions suggested, but to no avail. I am completely lost and utterly fed up. I've suggested that my boyfriend send the BB back to the vendor as a non-functioning device, but I thought I'd give it one last shot.

Please could someone explain to me, in idiot-proof, how I obtain the correct OS, and once I have it, how do I get it on to the BB? I am a total novice at this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't have to be carrier-specific (his carrier doesn't support BB yet) we just want to get the device 'alive'.

TIA
    Wom.
    Last edited by Womble_Lancs; 05-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    if you have the BlackBerry CD you should have an OS on there you will need to install on the PC and then use the Desktop Manager to load it.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

nastyboy2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    here is the link to the download page for the 8707v(vondafone uk). https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...05D7C424EBAE5F

BlackBerry 8707v™ / Pkg:4.2.1.151, App:4.2.1.94, Plt:3.4.0.24 (VODAFONE UK)

OS Installation Instructions:

To install an OS update to the BB:
    1. Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager
    2. Donwload the OS package and install it to the PC.
    3. Delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader (this step is necessary any time an OS is installed from a different carrier than what is branded on the BB.)
    4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

Thanks nastyboy2, I'm downloading it now. I did try to send you a PM, but apparently I've not posted enough on the forums yet

melissaox - I do have the BlackBerry CD but I couldn't find any OS on it. Maybe I am missing a CD - there was only one came with it, and it has the Desktop Manager on it.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Womble that CD won't have the OS on it, but you can find the latest for your
    device here:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=86

You have to reach 10 posts to get PM abilities...keep stacking ~ you'll get their soon

Cheers.

I've successfully installed the file on the computer, but when I run Desktop Manager I don't get any prompt to upgrade, although the screen on the BB changes to show a BB & computer icon, so it knows it's connected.

I've run the application launcher, but that is still asking me for an *.ali or *.alx file, which I don't have on my machine.

I'll keep poking at it.

OK, weird. I found some *.alx files and it let me select them, but then said it couldn't install the e-mail function because some files were missing.

I exited the app launcher and started again, and now it just keeps telling me that no additional applications for my device have been found.

I've still not managed to load the OS

BikerSpike no está en línea Stack level 1

Just saying Thanks

Hi all, BikerSpike here

Just saying thanks for all the help the Womble has got from here, as i now have a working 8707v blackberry, unlocked and were getting along fine

So much to read on here, so i think i'll be here a while......

Cheers !

Spike