This is my personal 8700c...the company email worked ok (via POP), but they installed BES ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

TheJerk no está en línea Stack level 2

How do I get back to original?

Advertisement

This is my personal 8700c...the company email worked ok (via POP), but they installed BES and I decided to have it activated. Nothing but things I don't want, for a company issued BB it might be fine, but not for a personal BB. So I want to go back to prior to the BES activation.

I tried restoring, that only does databases...I actually have a restore point of 6/1, and nothing has changed since then. What will get rid of the enterprise activation software? I know they need to turn me off at the office end, but what about all the controls placed on the BB??

How do I go back to start with a "new phone"? I'm assuming a "wipe"?? Or do I need to upload the old software OS again?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    If you do a device wipe with jl_cmndr, a thread for which you'll find in the Technical Support Blog link in my signarture, there is an option to restore to factory settings. You can reload the OS after you have wiped the device. This should get you on your way.

If you still find any IT policies on your device, we can address that when the time comes.

Try the wipe first.

Cheers,
    Roger

Here is the thread for jl_cmndr and here is a thread with the latest OS's for each device.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    If you do a device wipe with jl_cmndr, a thread for which you'll find in the Technical Support Blog link in my signarture, there is an option to restore to factory settings. You can reload the OS after you have wiped the device. This should get you on your way.

If you still find any IT policies on your device, we can address that when the time comes.

Try the wipe first.

Cheers,
    Roger

So instead of following the "wipe" option in the jl_cmndr link, I want to follow the "restoretofactory"?? Just making sure before I do something stupid again!

And where would I find the latest version of OS 4.2...not sure I'm ready to try OS 4.5 after the near catastrophe with my wife's Curve.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the difference between a wipe and a restoretofactory. Sounds to me, though that the wipe removes the OS while the restore resets to original factory settings, leaving the OS intact.

Is your carrier AT&T? If so, you can get 4.2 here.

OK, thanks.

So should I start off trying to restore, or just wipe and start over again?

And I guess my last question is, should I try to upgrade to 4.5? Would there be any benefit?
    Last edited by TheJerk; 06-03-2009 at 11:31 AM.

If you have the time (and patience!), go ahead and try the restore first. It just might do the trick.

As for the benefits of 4.5 over 4.2, please see the following:

• Spell check (H)
    • BlackBerry Maps with Points of Interest (H)
    • New pictures and ringtones applications (H)
    • Voice note recording (H)
    • Microsoft Office document editing with DocumentsToGo (H)
    • Native format attachment downloading (S)
    • HTML e-mails (S)
    • Over-the-air device upgrades (S)
    • Free/busy calendar lookup (S)
    • Searching the server for old e-mail messages (S)

(S)=Server Side Improvements
    (H)=Handheld Improvements

OK, took baby steps...

From the BB security access, I wiped the handheld. I then restored the BB to prior to the BES activation...everything seems normal (with the only exception things like Google wanting me to accept their terms like a new install) and back the way it was at this point...BES activation seems to be gone.

If it seems to have other issues, I will completely wipe the OS and start over. I did download the OS4.5 to the desktop for installation at a later time.

Could not stand it...upgrading to OS4.5...wish me luck!

How'd it go?

Actually, it went very good.

I simply allowed the application loaded to load the new OS onto the BB, and unlike my wife's Curve, it went through without a hitch. The only thing I have had to do was uninstall and reinstall things like Google and Yahoo as they must have not been compatible with the newer OS.

I just got that done, and plan to pull the battery one final time to do a complete boot, then we will see how things work. But for the moment, it works not much differently than OS4.2.

Now I think I may try to attempt the Wife's BB again...

You go, boy!

Thanks...

And thanks to Pinstack, I also figured out why my first attempt with the wife's bb failed...neglected to pull the sd card. I was able to upgrade both successfully.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Great job!