Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi folks, i have a blackberry 8700c and i'm unable to disable the security password ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

zyzgy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

Question how do i disable password protection?

Advertisement

hi folks,
    i have a blackberry 8700c and i'm unable to disable the security password entry. for some reason, the options->security options->general settings->password setting is set to "enabled" and when i click it, there is no "change option" for this (the options are "change password", "wipe handheld" and "verify security software", none of which disable the functionality). it's truly aggravating to have to enter my password to access my own device every 20 minutes (i'm able to at least change the "security timeout" to the maximum 20 minutes). my previous 8700c (which got submersed in water and therefore exchanged for this brand new device) had no such problems.

please, if anybody has any idea about how i can permanently disable this feature, that would be great.

thanks

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: how do i disable password protection?

Are you on the latest OS?

On my you have the option of disabled or enabled for the password - try typing d over the enabled to see if you can force it to change. My secuity timeout option also goes up to 1 hour.

I have 8700g on BIS with OS 4.1.0.09.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

If you're connected to a BES (or if that device has ever been connected to a BES) it's a security policy. The only way of removing it is through the BES.

PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

hi,
    i'm running 8700c on 4.1.0.194 which is the one that came by default on the device. i tried to type over the field, but that didn't work for me. do you think the best option is for me to install the latest os? if so, is there a way to do that using mac or linux (i don't run windows)?

PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

Quote Originally Posted by eatmypiano
    If you're connected to a BES (or if that device has ever been connected to a BES) it's a security policy. The only way of removing it is through the BES.
    arg! though this is my personal device, i had hooked it up to my boss' station at work to do the initial charge and that must be what did it! is there no other way to disable it other than through BES, especially since i can't have it synced up on that machine?

Have you tried a restart with a battery removal?

I do not know about loading the OS without windows.

I usually use a new OS as a last resort, but I can not think of anything else that would cause it to not let you disable the password unless you are on BES. However, I do recommending updating your OS if you don't have the latest and greatest.

Anyone else with an 8700c able to offer some insight?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Just charging it at work wont set it up on BES. Are you on a BES plan via your provider?

If I am not mistaken you have to activate the BES on the BB.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    Just charging it at work wont set it up on BES. Are you on a BES plan via your provider?

If I am not mistaken you have to activate the BES on the BB.
    oh, in that case, i'm not sure what the deal is. i have never explicitly setup BES on my device and i'm not on a BES plan with cingular (i use BIS as far as i know). i have done the battery-removal restart for the device several times for other reasons, but that didn't seem to have had any effect so far...

Is that PIN (23D723EA) you new device or the one that's under water?

PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

thanks for that--you're right, that was the waterlogged device. i've updated my profile.

That device does have BES services. If you go to the security options>General screen, about half way down does it say "IT Policy: xxxxxx"?

PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

Quote Originally Posted by eatmypiano
    That device does have BES services. If you go to the security options>General screen, about half way down does it say "IT Policy: xxxxxx"?
    i'm looking at security options->general settings, but don't see any entry for something like "it policy: xxx" there. the options i have on this screen are: i) password, ii) security timeout, iii) lock handheld upon holstering, iv) content protection, v) content compression and then below all those a section for "services" which contains an entry for google talk and "Secure GC Enabled".

any ideas?

thanks!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Is your content protection and content compression turned on or off, try switching them and see if that works.

PIN/ID
    2413FE1A

they were both enabled, so i disabled them, but it didn't have any effect on the password protection...

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast