Hi All, I just purchased a BB 8700C (Cingular) off of eBay. The auction clearly ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

silvertint no está en línea Stack level 1

Help please, 8700C

Advertisement

Hi All,

I just purchased a BB 8700C (Cingular) off of eBay. The auction clearly stated that the unit was unlocked, very important for me as I wanted to use it on the Fido network When I rcvd the unit I inserted my sim card, and it shows invalid sim on the screen with the SOS in red.

My initial thought was that the unit was locked, so I bought a unlock code, I was never able to get to the point of actually entering the unlock code.

Weird thing is that in the sim card menu the unit is supposed to show the network setting as "network active" but on mine it shows "network disabled" So I am thinking that it is unlocked but for some reason it does not like my sim, or I am missing a step/information to get it going.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

imwillzillla no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2038A4B8

Re: Help please, 8700C

If I were you i'd try wiping the BB. Hopefully someone else can assist on how to do so. I did have somewhat of the same problem. But how to wipe it is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by imwillzillla
    If I were you i'd try wiping the BB. Hopefully someone else can assist on how to do so. I did have somewhat of the same problem. But how to wipe it is beyond me
    Thanks for the suggestion, I already tried wiping the BB, still nothing. I alos tried other sim cards thinking mine might be dead.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    Did you get the same message with a different sim card?
    I tried 2 fido sims, 1 rogers sim, and they all had the same negative result. I was even able to get my hands on a Cingular sim, that was the only that worked, meaning no SOS or invalid sim msg.

I also tried wiping the handheld, removing all IT Policies and even upgraded the software to the new v4.2 .. still nothing

bubblechaser no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F45BF4

I bought My BB on ebay also. thats' why i bought one specifically for cingular even though it said unlocked. Good luck hope you figure it out.

abaqueen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PMme4it

doesn't sound like its unlocked to me. Were you able to use the unlock code you purchased? Did you try it when you had the cingy sim card in, that might be worth a try.
    AngieB
    Pin:PMme4it

Quote Originally Posted by abaqueen
    doesn't sound like its unlocked to me. Were you able to use the unlock code you purchased? Did you try it when you had the cingy sim card in, that might be worth a try.
    I too thought it was locked, so I purchased the unlock code and still nothing, and yes I even tried it with a cingular sim .. nada !!!

rjedward no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Did you have any luck eventually with this? I have had the same problem with a phone sold as unlocked but behaving very much like it was locked to Rogers.

OriginalLucy no está en línea Stack level 3

it sounds like the 5 tries to unlock were used up and it became "hardware" locked. I had mine unlocked by cingular and it works just fine on Fido. Can u contact the seller?

rjedward no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

The evidence -- the SIM page -- should be different, I think. When I enter MEPD on the SIM page, all indications, including Network, are "disabled". I've been told by someone at an unlocking business that that indicates the phone has been unlocked. If it had been so-called hardware locked, shouldn't the "network" indication still be "active"?