Hello... I have a BB 8703e that was dropped in the rain and was malfunctioning ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

wattz no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Help! Broken Alt key... Remap Solution?

Advertisement

Hello... I have a BB 8703e that was dropped in the rain and was malfunctioning all over the place and had a water stain on the screen. Now that it's dried out, everything seems to be working *except* the ALT key. It is insured but I'm trying to avoid the $50 deductible and a week without a mobile phone while my claim is processed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wish there was just some way I could map the ALT key to one of the convenience keys or to the NUM key. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Gabriel Watson

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    I don't think that can be done.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    wattz, , Welcome to PinStack.

I think melissa is correct, I haven't heard of anything that will allow this. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your new BB when it comes in.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for the welcome, Rcbjr. I ended up filing a claim with Asurion but they're out of stock and can't give me any timetable for when it might come in. Not sure if this is an issue with Verizon providing them with inventory or what but it's very frustrating. I'm tempted to pull the back off the thing and try and fix it (*everything* works except that little ALT key!) but I think that will void my insurance. My interrim solution (which hopefully no one will really need) was to email myself all the punctuation and numbers and make auto-text entries for each one, so now to type a period I type "mmm" or a comma is "nnn". Works pretty well but requires a space before the characters. Moving around the words on a line is impossible too, without the ALT. It's frustrating... basically waiting for the gears of corporate bureacracy to turn while my 8703e is reduced to a run-of-the mill cell-phone.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Well I wish you a quick resolution.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Hi wattz, welcome to pinstack. I think you are being to reasonable about this. I would demand a new BB from Asurion immediately, or tell Verizon they need to accomodate you. If Asurion is out of a phone for Sprint they will send a similar model. Sprint also has a policy if the insurance company does not help, Sprint will send the phone to the customer. See if Verizon can do that, or say you are going to Sprint where they will help you. Its god to scare them sometimes to make them appreciate you.

ccr78 no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Don't back down or give up. Sometimes you have to stand up to the big companies to get anything done.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'd call and raise a fit! Tell them it's a BLACKBERRY! You need it to survive, and for your email...

I called my local Verizon store and after about a minute the representative there had gotten authorization from a manager to replace my BB in the store. Painless. Except for the $50 deductible... an idiocy tax, I guess. Now I just need to find a good waterproof case for the thing. It's going to be hard to keep it 100% dry while living in Oregon.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Check out OutterBox. It's designed for the 8700c/g but might just work for you 8703.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer