Rookie here.. first Berry... 8307e ... man so far i love it... & ... maby ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

opensky no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2344gg12

Greetings..

Advertisement

Rookie here.. first Berry... 8307e ... man so far i love it... & ... maby you guys know this already..
    BUT I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET INTERNET ON IT WITHOUT HAVING TO USE THAT WAY TOO EXPENSIVE BLACKBERRY INTERNET SERVICE.... but then..maby you guys already know how..
    1. get a bb
    2. sign up for some type of internet / data plan with your phone carrier
    3. provision your BB ( there are a few steps to this ) which the tech support guy was kind
    enough to tell me. network .. start provisioning
    4. once provisioned ( took 10 seconds on mine to do it ) go to a pc and install desktop mgr
    5. download opera mini and install it on the BB .. you only need the .com file.. and use app manager
    6. start your phone up.. and if its provisioned correctly.. you will see two blue arrows in the upper right
    hand corner of the screen ..give them a minuite or so to get steady..
    7. start the opera browser... it will run thru tests.. select the "do this for all sockets" ..
    8. let it finish.. turn phone off..then on... and click the opera icon.. poof ! your on the internet

PIN/ID
    2344gg12

Re: Greetings..

oh..i might have missed saying to do the register thing... right after provisioning..

PIN/ID
    2344gg12

oh.. if you dont know what opera mini is.. its a BROWSER

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

so you have signed up for a pay-per-use data plan thru your provider and plan on using opera mini?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I'm having a hard time figuring this one out, too. There is someone in the Cingular customer forums telling people they can have internet/data access without the Blackberry Data Plans. But the price difference to me doesn't make it worth all the hassle. The BDPs are not THAT much more expensive, IMO.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

i have no problem paying $20 a month. its a small fee for what you get from it. plus it goes to RIM so they can make me new phones

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I agree gar and latufu. You still have to pay for something. I figure what's the diff? Its not that much. Youi went out and spent the $ on the bb, you need to do what's *right* and get her or him a bb data plan

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I really dislike people who try to cheat the system and get something without paying for it.

However, in the case of the OP, I think he or she will be in for a rude awakening when the first bill arrives and there is a huge data charge. But then they will probably trash their carrier and CSRs for trying to screw them rant and rave on the forums about how they were cheated, etc, etc, etc.