I was driving down a semi rural area of california and I was in gprs ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

pspiegel no está en línea Stack level 2

gprs observation...

Advertisement

I was driving down a semi rural area of california and I was in gprs coverage the whole way.. My blackberry 8700g still worked perfectly but I thought it was strange that the GPRS speeds seemed extremely fast.. Almost the same if not faster than EDGE.. Is this just my newbie sense of speed or is it really not that bad?

Also something strange.. When I typed in google.com it automatically brought up Google Canada.. I double checked the address and did this a few times and still google thought I was in canada.. Any ideas why? Does it go through RIM servers instead of TMobile?

Any thoughts/ideas?

Re: gprs observation...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

I get the same thing when I type in www.google.com, but if you type wap.google.com you get the normal google. Weird
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

Anjie no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the same problem with google but also with Dell I couldn't get to the US site. With google I just signed into my personalized site and that problem was gone but the search results were still Canada. Especially the ebay result links.

moralitylady no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D70D2C

whoa...I have google maps but how do you get the GPRS thing?? Are you guys talking about the GPRS tracking because I would like to have that on my phone.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Morality. In order to use a GPS program on the 8700, you need a portable (bluetooth) GPS receiver because the 8700 is not GPS enabled.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

If you were in a rural area on GPRS, you may have noticed speeds as fast as EDGE in an urban area.

Both systems share the data between users connected.

Even though GPRS is rated as a bit slower than EDGE, you may have not been sharing the data channels with anyone else, so you got all of them.

It would appear to be as fast as EDGE, but only because you were the only user.

option94 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~google reads a canadian IP address. Blackberry data does go through rim somehow.

I don't notice much speed difference wheb browsing ffrom the device, however if you werer tethered to a laptop you would notice a considerable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

If you were in a rural area on GPRS, you may have noticed speeds as fast as EDGE in an urban area.

Both systems share the data between users connected.

Even though GPRS is rated as a bit slower than EDGE, you may have not been sharing the data channels with anyone else, so you got all of them.

It would appear to be as fast as EDGE, but only because you were the only user.
    i figured it was something like that, i was in the middle of no where so i figured it was something along those lines since the only thing around me were cows! does EVDO work the same way?

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

I'm not as familiar with non-GSM standards.

I found a great section on wireless standards on wiki. I had just been reading some of them the day before your question.

Unfortunately, I don't have the link on my BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

I'm not as familiar with non-GSM standards.

I found a great section on wireless standards on wiki. I had just been reading some of them the day before your question.

Unfortunately, I don't have the link on my BB.
    Awesome, if you remember could you maybe put it up here when you are off the BB? I am trying to learn as much about this stuff as i can..

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

It was an easier link than I thought.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM

Along the right side of that page is a list of links to the various mobile phone and data standards.

Traknologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F916AF

~via BB I have the same problem. get