I recently switched back to BB after more than a year on the PPC and ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

sunracer no está en línea Stack level 1

getting ringtones on to an 8700

Advertisement

I recently switched back to BB after more than a year on the PPC and I've been able to get MP3 ringtones on my BB using only the web download method (uploading to a free site and then downloading to BB).

My 8700s (I have 5 of them now - one for each family member) are all updated to the latest FW and I'm also running BB Desktop 4.3. From reading these forums it seems that I should have the ability to transfer ringtones from the desktop manager using the media manager.

However, I downloaded the version of desktop mgr 4.3 that includes the media manager but when I run it there is no sign of any media management functions. Am I missing something here? A sanity check would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sunracer View Post
    I recently switched back to BB after more than a year on the PPC and I've been able to get MP3 ringtones on my BB using only the web download method (uploading to a free site and then downloading to BB).

My 8700s (I have 5 of them now - one for each family member) are all updated to the latest FW and I'm also running BB Desktop 4.3. From reading these forums it seems that I should have the ability to transfer ringtones from the desktop manager using the media manager.

However, I downloaded the version of desktop mgr 4.3 that includes the media manager but when I run it there is no sign of any media management functions. Am I missing something here? A sanity check would be appreciated
    There's two possibilities to start off with: 1.) You said you have the latest firmware installed on your 8700s, what is the version? (Find it with Options>About). If your OS is 4.1 or older, you won't be able to use the DM to transfer files. 4.2 or newer will allow this function. 2.) Sometimes service providers supply a version of the Desktop Manager without Media Manager so you think you will have to buy a data plan from them in order to transfer media files. T-Mobile did that after they introduced their 4.2 OS for their 8700g. You may need to get the Desktop Manager from another source.

The exact version of my test 8700c is 4.2.196 (Platform 2.3.0.79) and I downloaded both the 8700 FW update as well as the desktop SW directly from the RIM site (although the FW update was an ATT rediretcion).

The version of desktop SW I downloaded was 4.3 with Media Manager - 343MB...

...also, this BB is on ATT with a full data plan...most of my other BBs are on T mobile..

Next step is to check for an IT policy that may be blocking media downloads to your phone - go to Security Options>General Settings, and scroll down to the bottom of the screen. If there's any mention of an IT policy, then you have one. If you do it's easily removed. Check and see and come back -

BTW, is media manager not working on any of the 5 87xx devices, or just yours?

Timo529 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am with at&t aswell and my dm didn't come with roxio either but why not drag and drop to the media card to ringtone or music folder works just as easy for me I have pearl though so not positive if it will work the same~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I have no IT policies since thi sis not a managed BB, plus I double checked. This is my test 8700 and this is why I'm trying to simplify the ringtone situation as the upload/download method is far too involved for my family - plus none of them have data services on their phone.

I have a Media icon on my 8700 and selecting it shows Ringtones and Pictures with each having both "Preloaded" and "Device Memory" folders - but I can't seem to figure out how to get anything in to the folders under "Device Memory" as they aren't mapped on my PC...

...also there is no memory card in the 8700...only a small amount of built in memory...

Quote Originally Posted by sunracer View Post
    I have no IT policies since thi sis not a managed BB, plus I double checked. This is my test 8700 and this is why I'm trying to simplify the ringtone situation as the upload/download method is far too involved for my family - plus none of them have data services on their phone.

I have a Media icon on my 8700 and selecting it shows Ringtones and Pictures with each having both "Preloaded" and "Device Memory" folders - but I can't seem to figure out how to get anything in to the folders under "Device Memory" as they aren't mapped on my PC...
    They are mapped in the Media Manager window on the Device Manager. Double click Media Manager, then there are two windows: left side, your PC and right side, your 8700. On the 8700 side it will simply have "Device Memory" listed: double click that and it opens into it's various sub-folders. You also can create/delete folders from this window. The "Preloaded" folders will be unavailable and inaccessible, but "Device Memory" is available. If you are unable to open the Media Manager in Device Manager, then the DM download is suspect. It's possible (I don't know) that the 4.3 version of DM is incompatible with the 4.2 on your 8700. I would suggest downloading it again, or perhaps even deleting it altogether and trying a 4.2 DM. I use OS 4.2.1.107 on my 8700 and DM 4.2.18 on the computer and they work flawlessly.

Okay...I got it figured out. The download from the RIM site of desktop mgr 4.3 with media mgr was fine and my test 8700 has the latest FW on it. The problem was with the installation of the 4.3 desktop mgr.

When I tried to install it it kept bombing out with a debug window stating the manual install options for a .msi file. I've had this same issue with desktop manager for years going all the way back to my first BB and initial verison of desktop manager even though my desktop has been replaced and reloaded many times over the years (I work in the PC business :-).

So my answer has always been to just load the desktop manager by loading the .msi (setup bombs regularly) and it has always worked fine - and did this time as well.

The problem with not seeing the media manager is that it's a separate install (separate .msi or setup.exe) if you're installing manually. Once I ran the media manager .msi it appeared int he desktop software and is working fine.

Even though I love my blackberrys and appreciate the stability of BB software vs ActiveSync...I'd have to comment that neither one is particularly robust during the installation...:-(

Thanks to all who helped me on this...I've also ordered an 8310 to try it out as well...I love the track wheel on the 8700 so we'll see...;-)