so i found a verizon blackberry 8793e in my garage the other day, unlocked, ready ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

rothshot55 no está en línea Stack level 1

flashing the BB

Advertisement

so i found a verizon blackberry 8793e in my garage the other day, unlocked, ready to be programed!

i started looking up ways to convert to my current carrier, alltel.

after hours of searching the web, i have gotten to the point where my phone now roams and connects with the alltel network, and i can read thext messages that are sent to my number on the blackberry.

now i think all that is left to do is activate the phone with alltel, and then flash my software over.

can anyone walk me through the flashing process???

i found this a few links, but i cannot post them...

How To: Use JL_Cmder to Wipe A BlackBerry is the title of what i found.
    thanks!

chris

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: flashing the BB

I don't know what you mean by flash your software over. You are not going to be able to load software from another type of phone to a BB.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

That link for JL_Cmder will wipe your BB and then you'll need to install device OS on it so be sure to download the latest OS for your BB onto your PC, delete vendor.xml file and have it ready to go. You'll also have latest DM loaded as well.
    Like Melissa says, not sure what you mean about flashing software over as this is not possible.

rothshot55 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox View Post
    I don't know what you mean by flash your software over. You are not going to be able to load software from another type of phone to a BB.

im talking about loading alltels OS, that was made for the BB 8703e. its a verizon phone, so it has a verizon OS.

i want to delete the verizon OS and load the alltel OS onto my BB.

so pretty much both companies have the same hardware, but they have their own versions of the OS.

if i use the program that deletes my current OS, can i go to BB's website, download the Alltel OS made for the BB 8703e, and install it on my empty BB???

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Ok, you are thinking too much. You dont have to delete Verizon's OS....any carriers OS can work as long as its the version for your specific model. As long as Alltell and Verizon are both CDMA (that's what it is, right?),.....for example, an ATT phone can't be unlocked for Verizon and visa versa.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

ItsNowOrNever is correct. The OS for your 8700 series phone is identical for alltell and verizon so you don't need to delete an OS to install another. Interestingly, it is also the same OS that is in GSM devices, too - at&t, Rogers, Tmobile etc. -- the blackberry.alx file that comes with the operating system is designed to customize the OS for each individual application. It's really quite fascinating, there is no difference in the T-Mobile 4.2 OS running on my 8700g and the 4.2 running on your 8703.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rothshot55 View Post
    im talking about loading alltels OS, that was made for the BB 8703e. its a verizon phone, so it has a verizon OS.

i want to delete the verizon OS and load the alltel OS onto my BB.

so pretty much both companies have the same hardware, but they have their own versions of the OS.

if i use the program that deletes my current OS, can i go to BB's website, download the Alltel OS made for the BB 8703e, and install it on my empty BB???
    rothshot,
    both itsnowornever and mark stone are correct, but what I think you are confused on, or looking for, is changing the vendor theme on the BB so it looks like an alltel BB.

since the BB is originally from verizon it is marked with their vendor ID number, every vendor gets a different number, and the BB and desktop manager will load the theme for that vendor. you can load themes for other vendors also and use them if you want.

you can do that by unlocking the alltel vendor theme by following this thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...pt_8130_a.html
    Then your BB will have the alltel theme and the OS will "look" like theirs even though it is the same as Verizons, Sprints and everyone elses....

Hope that helps and clears it up...

Rcbjr's article on activating vendor themes is very good, but I would make two little bitty changes and add a comment: 1.) Before starting step 7 (editing blackberry.alx) always make a backup of the original and put it somewhere safe. I always put it on the desktop. Then, if mistakes are made in editing, you can revert to the original alx. 2.) Rcbjr includes deleting or moving vendor.xml in the list of instructions. When unlocking vendor themes, this is unnecessary. Doesn't hurt anything, but doesn't need to be done. Deleting vendor.xml is necessary only when installing a specific carrier's OS to a Berry to be used on another service provider, for example when using a Vodfone OS on a T-Mobile device.

Then my comment: (which may make this whole discussion academic): Alltell doesn't have a vendor theme for (at least) the 8700 series. I know they don't have one for the 72xx or 71xx either, so for the 8703e in question there is no Alltell theme

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rothshot55 View Post
    RIM produces all BB OS's. The OS for each model (only model number matters, not the carrier -- an 8703 is an 8703). There's no need to change the OS. In fact, mine rarely run my carrier's OS since they rarely have the latest releases.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

As others have said, loading an os for altel is not required but purely optional. If you want to add it anyway, download the altel os and desktop manager to your computer and update the os. You'll need directions on how to load another carrier's device software, but its not that hard. The opening verizon screen when you turn on the BB will not be changed, that seems to be burned into the BB on a lower level.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~