All, I dont have enterprise bb with my company and currently use the web based ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

mrespinosa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241CAEFA

EP BB vs WEB

Advertisement

All,

I dont have enterprise bb with my company and currently use the web based version. I called Cingular and they told me that the web based email only looks for email every 20 minutes. Can this time be shortened or am I SOL.

Still a new dude so hit me with some knowledge!!! Just Kidding
    Suerte

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: EP BB vs WEB

Web based email? or BIS. Blackberry mail should be push enterprise and non enterprise.

then every 20 mins sounds like a treo or Moto Q

Let us know if you mean Blackberry Internet Service.

Thanks

mrespinosa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241CAEFA

100% BIS is the service I have.
    Suerte

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I don't think it is possible to shorten the polling time of the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I thought the BIS polls your pop3 accounts every 15 minutes?

I have set up my BIS to NOT get my mail, and then my mail server forwards a copy of everything to the BIS, this is instant, instead of 15 minutes or less.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

As far as I know BIS is PUSH technology. pop3 on it's own is pull technology where it polls at the used request or at a predefined interval.

More
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Lightbulb Re: EP BB vs WEB

Took a while to find this info; it's not readily available from BlackBerry.com or RIM.com. (I don't think they want people to know that additional non-{at}mycarrier.blackberry.net email accounts are still pull.)

I found it on Rogers Wireless FAQ's.

A me{at}mycarrier.blackberry.net is push email, because RIM/BlackBerry is the mail service provider.

But any other email accounts on your BIS are still pull email; me{at}mydomain.com.

The BIS polls the pop3 accounts at the maximum of every 15 minutes (from 7 - 15 minutes according to Rogers). Then it pushes the email to the device.

If waiting 15 minutes is too long (as it is for me) then in the BIS, select "do not forward messages to handheld" in the preferences. But then you must forward your email from your provider to your me{at}mycarrier.blackberry.net address. Then it will be "push". However, on your BB, this email will show up in the blackberry account, not the account which forwarded the email.

BES is 100% push.

I am unsuccessful in finding out how BIS handles IMAP. I have an IMAP account on my BIS, but BIS sees it as pop3.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

With BIS 2 on Tmo I get my yahoo email almost instantly on my BB. I will sit at my PC and get an alert from yahoo, followed by my BB alerting me.
    Now, my gmail, that takes longer, 5 min to maybe 15 min.
    I seend most stuff to my yahoo accounts.
    I think it may depend on the email provider and what relationships they have worked out with RIM
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I did find some documentation which suggested that Y! mail has an agreement with RIM, where the two work together for push email.

But I don't use yahoo all that often....

tjunkie no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    203E690C

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    With BIS 2 on Tmo I get my yahoo email almost instantly on my BB. I will sit at my PC and get an alert from yahoo, followed by my BB alerting me.
    Now, my gmail, that takes longer, 5 min to maybe 15 min.
    I seend most stuff to my yahoo accounts.
    I think it may depend on the email provider and what relationships they have worked out with RIM
    Melissaox, You can't have gmail push email to you immediately instead of waiting for 5 to 15mins. At gmail filter, setup in:inbox then forward a copy to your blackberry address. It's almost as good as a push email and you won't have to depend your BIS to retrieve it via pop which need some polling time.