I just got a new 8700 and I was trying to start typing in one ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

ssobnai no está en línea Stack level 1

dial by name?

Advertisement

I just got a new 8700 and I was trying to start typing in one of my contacts name on the home screen in order to call he/she, but I was unable to do so. Many of the letter keys are shortcuts, etc. and the numbers do not factor in letters either. I was wondering if it's possible to type start typing a contact's name on the home screen in order to call the intended person?

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610
    Yes

Goto:

Call Log>Options>General Options>Dial From Home Screen set to YES
    “There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”
    ----Woody Hayes

When I looked at my options, 'Dial From Home Screen' was already set to 'Yes'. Any idea why it still won't let me?

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610
    i would try a battery pull to reset everything.

If it still does not work you can always just hit your space bar from the home screen that automatically brings up your call log screen and then you can start to spell out your contacts name from that.
    “There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”
    ----Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by ssobnai View Post
    When I looked at my options, 'Dial From Home Screen' was already set to 'Yes'. Any idea why it still won't let me?
    8700s shipped with OS 4.1, which does not allow typing the name in to make a call. OS 4.2 or newer have that feature. My bet is that you have the 4.1 OS, and you just need to upgrade - - which is a very easy procedure. The upgrade and instructions are available at your service provider. First, go to "About" in your Options menu and see if the Operating System is 4.1 (probably 4.1.0.377, methinks) - - - then go from there!

alright, that worked! thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by ssobnai View Post
    alright, that worked! thanks for the help

lldru32 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Glad hear that the issue with dialing was cleared up! I like the feature as well.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~