Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can attest to a fridge magnet (card size ad) wiping my mastercard. I picked ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

bbzone no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Credit cards wiped by 8707v holster/case?!

Advertisement

I can attest to a fridge magnet (card size ad) wiping my mastercard. I picked up the ad magnet at a trade show and stuck it in my shirt pocket with my M/C which I had just used. Next access - nada. Now, let's everyone experiment !!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I have a sleeper magnet in my BB case and it has never wiped my cards. I carry debit and credit cards, plus my BJ's card. Never had a problem.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

arteno no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

arteno no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm in the military and in our IDs we have a microchip as well as the mag strip. I have a similar holster for my BB Pearl and comonly keep my I'd as well as my debit card in the holster when I'm in a uniform short of pockets. Neither mag strip seems to have been effected, but I've had to get the chip in my mil I'd rekeyed twice now. I know this won't apply to many, but I wouldn't worry about the cards, but as stated in earlier posts, be weary of other media that could be more easly erased

harry h no está en línea Stack level 1

I started with a new employer two weeks ago and received a 8707 including a holster. Later that day I also found out two of my bankcards did not work anymore. The ATM did not even recognise the magnetic strip. I don't use the holster, so my new cards should be ok...

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

I saw that Mythbusters episode also and thought it was interesting. But they were mostly trying short-duration exposures to magnetic fields. I think they also tried some longer durations, but probably not as long as someone who puts their cards around a magnetic field all day every day. So I wonder if it has to do with the fact that people put their credit cards next to the magnet for 10+ hours a day and after a while (a couple weeks or a month of this) the magnetic stripe slowly degrades.

I'm not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV, but it's just something that popped into my mind. Whether there is any validity to it or not I don't know. Either way, it's probably a safe thing to keep the cards and magnets away from each other.

Dave

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by db869
    I saw that Mythbusters episode also and thought it was interesting. But they were mostly trying short-duration exposures to magnetic fields. I think they also tried some longer durations, but probably not as long as someone who puts their cards around a magnetic field all day every day. So I wonder if it has to do with the fact that people put their credit cards next to the magnet for 10+ hours a day and after a while (a couple weeks or a month of this) the magnetic stripe slowly degrades.

[...]
    Good thinking - this can indeed be contributing to the degrading of the strip. Combined with the 'movement factor' (I think Mythbusters just left the card sitting on a fixed point while in this case, the card is being moved within the magnetic field once it's in your pocket) it still makes sense to me that is actually the holster causing the probs. The Blackberry itself also contains a small magnet (don't know whether it's for the phone's speaker or to keep the screen in place) and it too can get coins moving, but it isn't as strong as the case' magnet by a long shot.

lovellbird no está en línea Stack level 3

I had mine right next to hubby's Moto Razr once....never again. It somehow shut his screen off; and it took removing the battery (and getting it away from my holster) and putting it back in to get it to come back on.....the magnet seems to mess with it. I try to keep mine away from my keys as well. I have had a few instances where my car key has ceased to work (it has a big chip in it the car has to read to start); and I have to let it reprogram itself before I can start my car. My theory is that the magnet must have sat against the key in my purse too long.

whensmett no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20452E97

Do we know for sure if these guys had paid their credit card balance?

bophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EI19DF

i can see magnets messing with a screen. one i was using an old corded phone in my office and i held it right up to my oc's screen (i am sure i had a gpd reason for doing this at the time, right now i seems silly) and it turned my screen purple in the area i held reciever.
    it was done on mythbusters but they had to use a verys strong magnet to wipe a credit card. i dont think that the magents in the cases are that strong. also, you think they would have tested this during development right?

-bophus
    Cellular Customer Service = Useless

e1nstein no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    300D945C

opps! I just realized that a few times I put my debit/checkcard in there when I didn't have pockets. i don't have that holster but I should still be careful

HarryMonk no está en línea Stack level 2

It wipes rail cards!

I used to use the holster that came with my 8707v, but ditched it in favour of a protective plastic coating for the screen so I could put it in my pocket.

I used to put my holster into the zip section of my bag on the way into work, and I can absolutely guarantee that it's strong enough to wipe railway season tickets. I went through five of them in 10 days and then suddenly realised what I was doing! I never told the guys at the station...

clydeism no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have to admit I've never seen a magnet lift or attract a coin

Must be a slug

NSP
    NSP no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ook,
    We have had this same issue!
    When my colleague first suspected the Blackberry 8707v was damaging her credit cards she came around to ask me - No, I said! It can't be? But I checked everything out anyway, searched the Net about the 8707v and couldn't find anything at that time, which made me believe that for the moment, the Blackberry was not at fault and advised her not to put it near strong magnetic fields, eg tele's, those demagnetising pads for alarms in shops etc. Then I started to notice different cards of mine stopped working, and that started me thinking could it be the Blackberry case? Was the magnet strong enough? I don't care what anyone else thinks, my colleague has had 4 cards damaged over time and I have had the same amount damaged. Both my colleagues and my problem started when we first got our Blackberry 8707v's. Hence, we both no longer use the case. Suspect it only happens if lthe cards are eft next to the case for long periods. Glad to find your forum message this time round. I think that there are others out there too... hey one good thing is , it stops you using your cards completely, which could sometimes be a good thing but quite embarssing when paying for fuel like what happened to me last Friday with no other means of payment.. PS some cards are not affected but these are the ones that use the CHIP and PIN system rather than the magnetic strip (here in Spain they haven't got CHIP and PIN yet, maybe in a decade or so..)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12