Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi! I did some searching but since I couldn't find any existing topics, I decided ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Credit cards wiped by 8707v holster/case?!

Advertisement

Hi!

I did some searching but since I couldn't find any existing topics, I decided to create this new one.

Has anybody already had any experience with bank- or credit cards being wiped by the 8707v holster/case that comes with the device itself? In my company there are already 3 (out of ~25) 8707 users that had this problem when they had their wallet and the bb carrying case in the same pocket!! One of them says every card in his wallet that contained a magnet-strip had been erased while others had 2 or 3 cards wiped (and the remaining ones still working?!)

All of this happened during the past 3 weeks where we started the roll out of these new devices and we're convinced that it's indeed the case that does it. The magnet seems much stronger than the previous models (7100v holster for example) and can easily lift a coin off the table (while the others can barely get it moving).

Has anyone already encountered similar issues? We've already reported this to Vodafone but they haven't gotten back to us yet.. Just to be sure, this is the suspect:

PS: To beat you to it; yes, I know the Brainiacs episode about credit cards being tougher than most of the 'normal' magnets out there (and thus unable to be wiped unless you come up with huge Tesla values - and even then it's not always fatal), but still, I just can't explain what we've been seeing without blaming the holster

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Credit cards wiped by 8707v holster/case?!

i thought about this the other day too when i had my company credit card and went to slid it in my holster since i didnt have my wallet. it went in my pocket.

Ook

Indeed, one person also admitted putting his cards inside the holster, thereby giving them the full load of both magnets.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Ouch, definently wouldn't be a good thing!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

AL904 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have wiped hotel-room keys by putting the key in the same pocket as my fortte-cased Blackberry.
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Using Bold with at&t
    Forum for PTT Users

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

I think that it's unlikley that the Blackberry Holster is the culprit. Usually it takes a strong magnet to damage or erase the strip on a card, as you stated.
    With that said though, check this out.
    I guess its hard to say.
    For more information take a look here

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Quote Originally Posted by AL904
    I have wiped hotel-room keys by putting the key in the same pocket as my fortte-cased Blackberry.
    hotel cards use low-coercity cards so they can easily (cheaply) be reused
    credit cards us high-coercity cards so they are more expensive to write but the data lasts longer

tony597fittr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B9B8D

I find this hard to believe. I am a Union Pipe Fitter and I carry around a 6" torpedo level in the same pocket as my credit cards and my debit card. It has 4 rare earth magnets on it and I have never had a prob.. The magnets are so strong, that at work I did a test and they would pick up a piece of pipe weighing just under 25#. I have been carrying this level for over a year now in the same pocket as my wallet and never experienced this prob. I also watch mythbusters and they did this test and they came back saying its not possible with the smaller magnets.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

I think this was on myth busters (Discovery Channel) and they proved it as not possible or highly unlikely. HOWEVER, something is common with these three users and worth digging deeper yea.

Raybender no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32Bf0376

I carry a magnetic wallet (just enough grab to pinch a few bills together). Sounds like a similar problem. Credit cards have to be manually keyed, hotel and cruise ship room keys fail, my office security fob won't let me in my building at times and I even managed to corrupt a USB pen drive. Knowing what can happen, I am very aware of what pocket has what in it or near it.

Ook
    Thx for the comments so far (and the magnet-episode was indeed Myth busters - my bad )

I also thought it was just a coincedence up until the 3rd one came in, that last one made me change my mind into believing that the case just might be the cause to it all. Ah well, we're now warning people in advance (just to be on the safe side) so I hope we won't get anymore complaints. I don't use the case myself but I'll keep my eyes out for any incoming complaints (and will let you know if Vodafone makes a statement).

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

I never thought about this as even a possibility. Since M.B. has debunked the validity I won't worry about it too much, but it still makes you wonder...

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

i better stop carrying magnets in my back pocket, uh oh

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

Pipe fitters or otherwise, I think the message here is clear. Dump the credit cards and carry wads of cash. That way you will be doubly attractive to a mugger! OR you could offer him your BB instead of the cash? Nah.......

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

I know that others may disagree, but I firmly believe that these weak magnets can wipe out a credit card. I had a buddy who got a money clip that used a magnet clamp as a gift. Took three replacement ATM cards before he put 2+2 together and stopped putting his card in the money clip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast