Hi, This 8700c is my 3rd Corp BB, but I am on an assignment where ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

bnam no está en línea Stack level 1

Convert Corp to Personal

Advertisement

Hi,
    This 8700c is my 3rd Corp BB, but I am on an assignment where BB service is not supported for corp use (though avail locally) and I'd like to convert my phone to a personal service via the local carrier (airtel).

I need some confirmation on how to go about doing that. I'd appreciate guidance on this:

My thought is:

1. download 4.2 desktop and latest device s/w
    2. Install 4.2 desktop
    3. back up current contact info (that's the only info I will carry over)
    4. Load latest device s/w -- will that replace the corporate build that is currently installed?
    5. Go to airtel and subscribe to BB service
    6. Hook up my yahoo email onto my BB

Pls let me know if I am on the right path or if any of my assumptions above are incorrect.

Thanks!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Convert Corp to Personal

If your device is an Airtel branded phone, you should be good to go. If it is not, you will need to unlock it before being able to register on their network and use their SIM.

You will need to remove all the corporate IT Policies if you were on BES. No need to wipe and reload the newest OS unless you really want to. Do a search on removing IT Policies and you will find several threads to tell you how.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Right -- you only need to perform steps 5 & 6 and possibly remove and IT policies as Dubdub says. I'd also delete any Desktop service books on your BB.

Desktop Manager 4.2 and the 4.2 OS aren't going to help you, really.

The phone is a Cingular device that I used while back home in California. But, Cingular did unlock it for me so I am currently using it with an Airtel voice only prepaid card. I will search to remove the IT policies. That's essentially what I was hoping to achieve with #4.

Thanks!

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Device software has nothing to do with IT Policies. If you were on a BES, then you may have them. If not, then you are good to go as is.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

You may not need to remove the IT policy's if you are only planning on using it for a short period of time. If your IT policy doesn't block the capability of you accessing your personal email then you should be able to add them directly to the device without any changes on the device end. You mentioned you were using a prepaid Airtel service. You need to check to see if they offer BB service with that setup before you go any further. If they don't then you will be wasting your time.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    Device software has nothing to do with IT Policies. If you were on a BES, then you may have them. If not, then you are good to go as is.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure how these were implemented. I was on a BES. I did search and find a link to removing IT policies -- editing the reg file with a path to a policy.bin file that I downloaded. I'm not sure if that works for me or not. HOw do i know if it has worked?

(Not sure if this is relevant, but, when I used it or company work everything was wirelessly synchronized)

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by bnam

(Not sure if this is relevant, but, when I used it or company work everything was wirelessly synchronized)
    I am not a BES or IT Policy expert. Don't use them,

As for wireless sync, that is the beauty of BES. Your email will get pushed automatically once you set up your BIS account. You will have to sync calendar, contacts, tasks, etc., manually using Desktop Manager which you can get from the RIM download site. Get DM ver 4.2 SP2 and install it on your PC.